Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Show dates and times in Mail's message list

I found an article that shows how to do this, but I was unable to make the desired changes. Perhaps because the instructions were too old (9/29/11 Lion OS X 10.7). In any event, I want to add DATE to my Mail columns. Today and yesterday are not enough.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on May 23, 2016 5:54 AM

7 replies

May 23, 2016 4:28 PM in response to Niku

If you are using Classic view.

User uploaded file

Under View in the Menu bar select Columns > select either Date Received or Date Sent. Usually they are the same but imported messages could show the date you imported not actually received. I prefer Date Sent. This never changes.

User uploaded file

If you are using the three pane view, You can create a smart folder to show messages received today, yesterday, this week, after a date etc.

I use this option and add "Message is unread".

User uploaded file

May 23, 2016 5:08 PM in response to dianeoforegon

That didn't help. How about this.?Maybe the answer is here,,but I can't see it.

------

Macworld reader Lynn P. wanted to know if there’s a way to get Mail to display both the date and time for all messages. Though I haven’t found a way to display the date and time for messages received yesterday—Mail is downright determined to use just Yesterday for those messages—with a bit of trickery, it’s possible to add the date for messages received today, and to add the time to messages received prior to yesterday.

For messages received today or prior to yesterday, Mail uses your preferences for time and date format, respectively, in the Language & Text pane of System Preferences. Here’s how to tweak those settings to get today’s messages to also display the date, and older messages to also display the time:

Open the Language & Text pane of System Preferences. Click the Formats tab. The Dates format—specifically, the Short format in the Customize dialog for Dates—is what Mail uses for days prior to yesterday. The Times format—specifically, the Short format in the Customize dialog for Times—is what Mail uses for today. But you’ll notice that time options aren’t listed in the Dates dialog, and date options aren’t listed in the Times dialog.

Here’s the trick: Click Customize for Dates. Set up your preferred date format in the Short field. Select everything in that field (Edit: Select All) and copy it (Edit: Copy). Click Cancel to exit the Date-format dialog without saving your changes. Click Customize for Times, and then set up your preferred time format in the Short field. Now put the cursor at the end of the Short-format field, press the right-arrow key (to be sure nothing is selected), type a comma (,), then paste (Edit: Paste) the date-format you copied earlier. The result should look something like

12 : 00 AM , 1 / 5 / 11

The format is now fixed for messages received today, but you still need to fix it for older messages. Select the entire Short field’s contents and, again, copy (Edit: Copy), then click OK. Click Customize for Dates. Delete everything in the Short-format field, and then paste (Edit: Paste) what you copied from the Times dialog. Click OK.

You should now have the same Short format, showing both the time and date, in both the Times and Dates dialogs. Mail’s message list should immediately reflect these changes, displaying both the time and date for all messages (except those received yesterday).

Note that these changes also affect the display of the Short date and time in other places throughout OS X—for example, the Date Modified and Date Created columns in Finder windows. If you ever decide to go back to the original date and time formats, you can just open the Customize window for date and time and, in the Short field, delete the capsules for time and date, respectively.

May 23, 2016 8:13 PM in response to dianeoforegon

I called Apple, and we finally worked things out. My E-mail screen now has a completely different appearance, but it does have all of the dates now. While setting things up we found the three-panel screen that you mentioned, but I didn't like that format. The format I now have has only two columns. The column on the left is basically a list of my mailboxes, and the one on the right shows the Sender, time, date, mailbox, and three lines of the message for the Inbox, and the receiver, time, date, and three-lines of the message for the Sent mailbox.

We couldn't figure out why the dates had been missing before, but the new format makes that question irrelevant. It works now, and that's the important thing.

Thanks for trying to help me.

Show dates and times in Mail's message list

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.