Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stop Safari from automatically logging me into Gmail

Hi,

I just got a new machine (OS X El Capitan v.10.11.5) at work a few days ago, and Safari (v.9.1.1.) keeps me logged into my Gmail account unless I explicitly log out of it before quitting the application. Other people rarely use my machine, but I still like to make sure that nobody can accidentally view my personal emails.

I did the following in hopes of stopping Safari from automatically logging me into the account:

- Safari Preferences > Passwords > unchecked "AutoFill user names and password"

- Safari Preferences > AutoFill > unchecked all of the boxes

- Password is never saved for account.google.com

- System Preferences > Users & Groups > made sure that nothing is listed under "Login Items"

- I cleared all history, cache, cookies for Safari.

The first time I launched the browser after I cleared history, etc, I was not logged in automatically. But when I closed the application without logging out of the account, the same problem persisted.

Are there any other places I need to change the settings? Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks

Mac Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), Safari v.9.1.1

Posted on May 24, 2016 1:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2016 7:11 AM

Hi,

Might be a cookie issue...

From your Safari menu bar click Safari > Preferences thens select the Privacy tab then click: Remove All Website Data then quit and relaunch Safari to test.

If that doesn't help, it may be a Safari extension or third party plug-in that's causing a conflict. Troubleshooting help here.

3 replies

Stop Safari from automatically logging me into Gmail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.