Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get an iCloud.com email address

Hello helpers,

I have an iCloud ID and would like to have an email address such as xxxxx@icloud.com

But, I have no Apple device, no iPhone, no iPad, just a Windows PC

Can I get one? How?

Cheers

Posted on May 24, 2016 9:35 PM

8 replies

May 24, 2016 11:38 PM in response to alex4orly

I suspect you mean you have an Apple ID, which you use to sign in here. In order to get an @icloud.com address you have to open an iCloud account, which you do in System Preferences (or Settings) on a Mac, iPhone or iPad. Windows has an iCloud Control Panel but it's for people who already have an iCloud account (not just an Apple ID) - you cannot use it to create an iCloud account.

May 24, 2016 11:58 PM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thank you all for the feedback.

Well, I have both - an Apple ID and an iCloud Account

For those living in an "Apple Only" world, surprisingly, you can have those two without a problem through a Windows PC, just download iTunes and you are done.

So, now that it is clear, how can I have an email address such as : xxxx@iCloud.com?

The only response that I got that is to the point is "You can not open an iCloud account using a PC."

So, my next question, can a friend who has an iPhone, open on his device another email address, that will be for me to use? Or maybe you an't open more than one address on the same device?

Cheers

May 25, 2016 12:10 AM in response to alex4orly

If you had an iCloud account you could create an @icloud.com address simply by checking 'Mail' in the Control Panel. Signing in in iTunes does not create an iCloud account. If you have an iCloud account you can sign in at http://www.icloud.com .

As to using your friend's phone, assuming he already has an iCloud account he would need to sign out of it in Settings>iCloud first. This will cause all his synced data to disappear from the phone, but he won't lose it - it will reappear when he signs back in.

Then he can sign into the iCloud preference pane with your Apple ID to create the account, and by checking 'Mail' can create an @icloud.com address for you. Then he can sign out, and sign back in with his own ID. At this point you should change your password otherwise he would have access to your account.

You should both note that any one device can create only three iCloud accounts, so assuming he has only ever created his present account, once he has created yours he can only ever create one more should he need to. That restriction is tied to the hardware and can't be got round.

As a bit of lateral thinking, why so keen to have an @icloud.com address anyway? Why not buy a domain name from one of the many providers (it's not particularly expensive) and create your own email address at your own domain. If your surname isn't common you might just be able to use it as the domain name, otherwise some variant of it. This looks a lot more impressive than using an @icloud.com address. Just a suggestion.

May 25, 2016 3:05 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Dear Roger,

This is the first answer I get that is to the point, thank you so much.

I downloaded the app and installed it on my Windows PC, restarted the machine and prompted to log into the app.

I get an error saying:

Cannot Sign In:

Your Apple ID Must be used to setup iCloud on an iOS or OS X device before you can use iCloud for Windows....

So, I am back to square one...

Interesting you being the 1st one asking me what for do I need that... Well, you are very nice and I will tell you.

I live in a retirement village in Victoria / Australia and teach a class about email / Internet to fellow residents.

It is hard for them to understand that an email address is not linked to the type of phone they have - so I thought, I will make a point by showing them that I have an xxxx@iCloud.com email on my Android Galaxy phone....

But, it seems I am stuck? unless you can help me and create an email for me and send it here...

Cheers

May 25, 2016 6:57 AM in response to alex4orly

You indicated that you have a friend that has an iPhone? If so, then as Roger said, have them sign out of iCloud on their device: Settings>iCloud>Sign Out. Do not be alarmed by the messages. The iCloud account is not going to get deleted, it is just deleting iCloud information from the phone which will then re-sync when your friend signs back in.

Once they sign out, you will see this screen:

User uploaded file

Click on the "Create a new Apple ID" and you will see this screen:

User uploaded file

Click on Get a Free iCloud email and you will see this screen:

User uploaded file

Click on the Email address box, and put in a new ID like JohnnyAppleseed@iCloud.com, then click Done. You will now have a new iCloud ID. Sign out of iCloud on your friend's device, and then you should be able to sign that ID into an Android.

Cheers,

GB

How to get an iCloud.com email address

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.