Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp Assistant 6 Windows Support Software Download Location

Currently, I'm trying to get Windows 10 working on my Macbook Pro Retina 13" El Capitan 10.11.5. I just bought it earllier this May and it's currently an Early 2015 model.

My problem is that whenever I open Boot Camp Assistant version 6 (v6) on the OS X side, it only shows me a simpler prompt.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

As many people have wrongly-guessed, Boot Camp Assistant v6 does not have the options the previous Boot Camp Assistants (v4 and v5) had, which allowed you to install the Windows Support Software separately on a USB stick, or just install Windows XP/7/8 separately, as shown here:

================================================================================ ============

User uploaded file

================================================================================ ============

Now the problem with Boot Camp Assistant v6 is that when you want to install Windows, you're forced to always install the Support Software before it begins the Windows installation itself. Initiating this process gives me a screen like this:

User uploaded file

Not a lot of us have that much time to wait.

That said, this brings me to the question header: Where does my Mac download the support software to? What I mean by this question is where do I find it in Finder, whether or not I need to use ⌘+Shift+G to find said folder. As it stands, I'm really tired of seeing this screen.

User uploaded file

I've tried looking in the Library folder, and I've found a Bootcamp folder, but it's empty and even while it's downloading the support software, it remains empty.User uploaded file

Any help would be appreciated. Sorry if my wording might've sounded a little condescending, as I'm really trying to make it as no-brainer as possible. My last question and even Apple Chat Support couldn't help me on this one, so I'm making the question a little more detailed.

Macbook Pro Retina 13" (Early 2015)-OTHER, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on May 24, 2016 9:35 PM

1 reply

May 25, 2016 3:07 AM in response to S373N

The USB Installer method has been replaced on 2015 and later Macs using an internal partition called OSXRESERVED. It is documented in https://help.apple.com/bootcamp/assistant/6.0/#/bcmp173b3bf2 .

The OSXRESERVED contains a copy of your ISO and the Support software. If you are using a wireless connection, please try a wired connection (yes such a connection is a pain on 2015 and later Macs 😉 ).

Boot Camp Assistant 6 Windows Support Software Download Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.