Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

6s Battery dies after about 4 hours of being fully charged

I've only had my iPhone 6s since February (was hoping to hold out and keep my 5s until the 7 came out but I got impatient...) but for the past couple weeks the battery life has been draining extremely fast. I'm on my phone a lot for work, but never have seen my battery drain as quick as it has last two or three weeks. I'm good about preserving my battery but turning wifi off when I'm not at a place with WiFi, my location services are set to only work when in the specific app; I'll turn my screen brightness down; etc.....

What I found odd was when checking my battery usage, the home and lock screen says it uses a majority of my battery life or at least in the top 3. Almost as if I didn't have my phone locked ever. It would also show my battery usage down to around 5% 4 hours after its last full charge.

I brought my phone into the Genius Bar and their battery diagnostic showed exactly what I told them. They said their was nothing wrong with my battery and it was showing as in perfect condition, but that on average my phone has full battery between 6-9am and is dead 4-5 hours later. The home and lock screen also confused the tech who helped me and went through checking to make sure I even had a passcode set and what my settings were if that was draining my battery. In the end they figured it must have been a firmware problem so they replaced the firmware, I reloaded everything back onto my phone via the cloud and my phone should work fine.

Well, it's been about a week since I had my phone fixed and the battery is still draining between 4-5 hours after a full charge. I guess I wanted to come here to see if there is anything I could do on my own before making another appointment or calling for tech support. I also read something about extreme heat causing battery damage-- and wondered if that could have happened when down in Florida. But if it did overheat without my knowledge, I assume that would have shown up on Apples diagnostic, right?

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on May 26, 2016 3:07 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2017 3:17 PM

I have an IPhone 6S and IPhone 7 for work. I keep my IOS up to date. The last couple of weeks, my phone gets hot and the battery is dead in 4 hours... this is happening on both models. I can't help but think this is a software issue.

11 replies

Mar 14, 2017 7:33 PM in response to Xavier Sierra

Xavier Sierra wrote:

The wifi does take battery cause it is searching for a wifi

Practically none. It only searches if you open Settings/WiFi, or the app you are using needs data AND you have enabled Ask to join networks. And the search listens only, so it uses only a few milliwatts for a second or two. If WiFi searching was the only feature running the battery would last several hundred hours. You can essentially ignore any energy used by the WiFi search feature.

Jun 19, 2017 6:54 AM in response to Andreww427

Hi just wondering if you ever got this issue solved? I had the same problem about a year ago and apple eventually swapped my phone but couldn't find the reason. Now a year later my phone is doing it again, it just started overnight my phone went from lasting about 36 hours to lasting 5. I talked to apple support and they tested the battery and said it was fine and that to check for anything else I would need to go to the apple shop.

Jun 24, 2016 6:24 PM in response to Iamthetaylor

Some of those suggestions are nonsense, and it misses a lot of actually good advice.. The WiFi one in particular is just wrong; WiFi uses no power unless it is connected to a WiFi network, and then it always uses less power than a cellular data connection. And WiFi is turned off automatically when the phone is asleep. So, given that at least some of the information is wrong, I would ignore the whole post. Here's a really good one: http://www.overthought.org/blog/2014/the-ultimate-guide-to-solving-ios-battery-d rain

6s Battery dies after about 4 hours of being fully charged

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.