Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the best data recovery software for deleted files on iMac

Due to an entire 300GB file archive disappearing without trace off iCloud I am desperately clutching at data recovery to retrieve any amount of my files. They sat in a folder on my iMac HD before uploading them to iCloud so a recovery of 'deleted' files would be preferred and recovered with original file names intact preferably. It included 20 years of Quark and Indesign based projects with linked images so any necessity for identifying and relinking each file would be an absolute nightmare. Unrelated to this is my treatment by Apple Customer Care who have shown little to no care nor volunteered a single call to update me in 3 weeks of waiting.

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Also iPhone

Posted on May 27, 2016 7:33 AM

12 replies

May 11, 2017 8:05 AM in response to macjack

macjack wrote:

If there is any chance of recovery at all your best bet is Prosoft Data Recovery.

https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-mac-data-recovery/

There is a free trial to see if it can recover what you need. But don't do another process on that drive until you've downloaded and run it.

Ideally you should use another bootable drive to download and run Data Rescue. Or booted from another Mac in firewire mode.

Depending on how valuable those files are to you, you can also use a professional recovery service, like DriveSavers but it is much more pricey.

http://www.drivesaverdatarecovery.com/

Free, probably Recuva. There are trial versions of most of the good paid programs but they are worthless as most of them limit you to only recovering a small amount of data without paying or only viewing the data without actually recovering it. This is pretty ****** because of the drive is failing and you run a recovery, can't actually recover it, and then run another recovery, in the time spent doing all that the drive could fail completely, past the point of a recovery being possible.

For paid programs, GetDataBack by Runtime Software is the absolute best, I also have used EaseUS and Stellar Phoenix. Stellar Phoenix makes a good program for recovering corrupted pictures as well as damaged or corrupted DVDs. Another Picture recovery software (that's free) is TestDisk and it's sister program PhotoRec. For Android recoveries the only one I use is DiskDigger.

May 14, 2017 10:01 PM in response to Gary Kenyonnne

Gary Kenyonnne wrote:

macjack wrote:

If there is any chance of recovery at all your best bet is Prosoft Data Recovery.

https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-data-recovery-mac/

There is a free trial to see if it can recover what you need. But don't do another process on that drive until you've downloaded and run it.

Ideally you should use another bootable drive to download and run Data Rescue. Or booted from another Mac in firewire mode.

Depending on how valuable those files are to you, you can also use a professional recovery service, like DriveSavers but it is much more pricey.

http://www.drivesaverdatarecovery.com/

Free, probably Recuva. There are trial versions of most of the good paid programs but they are worthless as most of them limit you to only recovering a small amount of data without paying or only viewing the data without actually recovering it. This is pretty ****** because of the drive is failing and you run a recovery, can't actually recover it, and then run another recovery, in the time spent doing all that the drive could fail completely, past the point of a recovery being possible.

For paid programs, GetDataBack by Runtime Software is the absolute best, I also have used EaseUS and Stellar Phoenix. Stellar Phoenix makes a good program for recovering corrupted pictures as well as damaged or corrupted DVDs. Another Picture recovery software (that's free) is TestDisk and it's sister program PhotoRec. For Android recoveries the only one I use is DiskDigger.

Stellar Phoenix ! Choose version as per your operating system.

It has very good data recovery rate. Good luck.

May 27, 2016 7:54 AM in response to tobester70

https://www.prosofteng.com/datarescue-mac-data-recovery/

http://www.drivesaversdatarecovery.com/

May 27, 2016 8:44 AM in response to tobester70

You never kept backups ? not sure if about TM weather it can be backup up.

Restoring from backup would take presence using data tools or companies..,. Just hoping users learn a lesson from this. Or you could be like my mate and do the same stuff up's again and again.

While keep stuff in iCloud, i never rely on it ever.. If i don't have a local backup not connected to Mac somewhere, i

May 27, 2016 9:05 AM in response to Tech198

I did keep back ups - 6 years of Time Machine - but the disk they were saved to was the one that corrupted.

My mistake seems to be trusting iCloud with my files but what kind of service is it where the wise choice is not to trust it at all?!

Surely Apple are accountable and the files retrievable. Wouldn't you think? Everyone just seems to accept that iCloud is a bit pants but this is APPLE!... APPLE!!?!!... Would you buy 2 washing machines just in case one of them decided to break and mash your clothes. No!! If the service is well known to be faulty then they should remove it until it does what it's supposed to do. This is just crazy!!

May 27, 2016 9:09 AM in response to tobester70

Apple are not accountable for anything.. They provide a service to customers to store data with them... so u can get it back or sync to other devices. They are not responsible for any loss what so ever..

If they have "versioning" of files, that's one way, but if a loss is a loss in the cloud,, u can't blame them.... u gotta blame yourself by not keeping backups..

A Time machine of an OS is *not* a backup.. since its just one copy of it.... 2 copies minimum..

May 27, 2016 9:14 AM in response to tobester70

I agree, you can leave feedback for Apple here.

http://www.apple.com/feedback/

Knowing this, I don't use the cloud for backup. Also knowing how important reliable backups are I keep both a Time Machine backup and clones. You can use a cloning software like SuperDuper! or CarbonCopy Cloner.

The advanage of the clone is that it is bootable. So if anything happens to your internal drive, you can continue to work normally until it’s fixed. The advantage of TM is that it creates recursive backup, so you can restore a file or the entire drive from a certain point in time.

May 27, 2016 9:39 AM in response to Tech198

Thanks to all for your suggestions and advice. I'm learning lessons here but, honestly, in my defence the lapse in Time Machine usage and back up strategy was only momentary while I reformatted my damaged external disk and moved files around. I never thought for a moment that the whole lot would just disappear in the short space of time it was up there. And why would I? Yes I should have kept a back up and moved it back to the repaired disk but to suggest iCloud is not flawed in any way is utterly ridiculous while I have good reason to doubt that the claim "...safely store all your documents with iCloud Drive...", as clearly stated on the iCloud website, is not entirely accurate.

I hope any readers might appreciate why I'm a little miffed with the thing.

What is the best data recovery software for deleted files on iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.