Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Boot Camp x64 is not supported on this computer model

Hello All,

I need some help installing Windows 7 on my imac I have listed all of the specifications here:

24" iMac - Early 2009 - Intel Core 2 duo E8135 - 8 GB - running El Capitan

I have several versions of windows that I can install:

XP Pro, Vista (somewhere), Windows 7 upgrade 32 bit version, Windows 7 full install 64 bit version

The problem that I'm having is that while I was able to install the full version of Windows 7 (64 bit), I am unable to find any version of the Boot Camp support software that will install correctly. When I try to install the software that downloaded when I created my PC partition in boot camp it gives me the message "boot camp x64 is not supported on this computer model."

Does this mean that I can only have a windows partition that will run correctly if I purchase a 32 bit version of Windows 7? Is there any way around this, such as installing Snow Leopard first on my mac, and the corresponding version of boot camp. I suppose I could start there and do all of the upgrades?

Thanks in advance for your help!

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8), null

Posted on May 28, 2016 9:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 28, 2016 10:57 PM

Please see Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support for the W7 32-bit v 64-bit for your model an details of installation.

Your model has certified drivers for 32-bit only, despite the Mac's ability to support 64-bit Windows using a 64-bit CPU.

iMac

Mac model Windows 7
64-bit
Windows 7
32-bit
Windows Vista
64-bit
Windows Vista
32-bit
Windows XP
32-bit
iMac
(24-inch, Early 2009)
- 4 - DVD DVD
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 28, 2016 10:57 PM in response to David Kaff

Please see Install Windows 7 and earlier on your Mac using Boot Camp - Apple Support for the W7 32-bit v 64-bit for your model an details of installation.

Your model has certified drivers for 32-bit only, despite the Mac's ability to support 64-bit Windows using a 64-bit CPU.

iMac

Mac model Windows 7
64-bit
Windows 7
32-bit
Windows Vista
64-bit
Windows Vista
32-bit
Windows XP
32-bit
iMac
(24-inch, Early 2009)
- 4 - DVD DVD

Boot Camp x64 is not supported on this computer model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.