Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is VirtualBox safe?

I downloaded Virtual Box from https://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Downloads

As soon as it finishes downloading Google Chrome says

"This type of file can harm your computer. Do you want to keep VirtualBox -5.0 anyway?"

I was just wondering, if it's a new feature of Chrome or there's seriously something wrong with it now? Because there was a malware on Transmission, even when downloaded from the official site.

I'm quite wondering if it just warns me out of kindness or can it really harm my Mac?

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on May 30, 2016 2:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2017 7:02 AM

Google chrome doesn't have a virus/malware detection included, however since virtualbox is an application, google chrome only warns you that there is apps that can harm your computer.

VirtualBox is 100% safe, this program lets you download os (operating system) and run it as a virtual machine, that doesn't mean that the virtual os is virus free (well depends, if you download windows for example, it will be like if you had a normal windows computer, there are viruses).

If you download a virus inside the virtual os, this won't spread to your real os, it will stay on the vm (virtual machine), but there are some viruses (not so many) that can spread via the wifi network, meaning that if you have the vm connected to the internet and you download a wifi virus, this will affect all your devices.

Hopefully that helped. :D

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2017 7:02 AM in response to White-1

Google chrome doesn't have a virus/malware detection included, however since virtualbox is an application, google chrome only warns you that there is apps that can harm your computer.

VirtualBox is 100% safe, this program lets you download os (operating system) and run it as a virtual machine, that doesn't mean that the virtual os is virus free (well depends, if you download windows for example, it will be like if you had a normal windows computer, there are viruses).

If you download a virus inside the virtual os, this won't spread to your real os, it will stay on the vm (virtual machine), but there are some viruses (not so many) that can spread via the wifi network, meaning that if you have the vm connected to the internet and you download a wifi virus, this will affect all your devices.

Hopefully that helped. :D

May 30, 2016 3:55 AM in response to White-1

I have been using VirtualBox for years on OS X, or Linux hosts without any regret, and find it a perfectly safe product. For Windows guests in VirtualBox, an anti-virus tool is mandatory. I do not use Chrome as it is a OS X resource hog. I do use Safari, and current iterations of Firefox.

As there are no viruses attacking Macs, running an anti-virus product on a Mac is a waste of time, money, and system resources. As OS X has its own multiple tiers of security defense, there have been legions of posts into the OS X communities of anti-virus software disrupting the normal operation of the underlying OS X installation, and running applications. I recommend uninstalling BitDefender per vendor instructions, but retaining MalwareBytes, as there is a growing number of malware threats from selected web destinations.

May 30, 2016 4:02 AM in response to White-1

White-1 wrote:

Well, I do have some malware protection plugin and BitDefender and also MalwareBytes.

It's always better to be cautious than without any caution at all.

I've never had any malware or viruses though, but still...

No, it is not better to be cautious in this circumstance

Uninstall the junk you installed. This is NOT Windows, don't treat it as if it is.

Is VirtualBox safe?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.