Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"The document is invalid. The index.xml file is missing".

I suddenly can't open any of my Numbers docs. I get a msg "The document "name of doc" is invalid. The index.xml file is missing". I literally had the document open this morning with no problem, closed it, tried to reopen it and now I get this msg...all in the same computer session. It didn't start after an update or anything, just in the middle of a computer session. Seems to affect all Numbers docs. I can't open any of them now. I'm running OS X El Capitan Version 10.11 and Numbers 09, Version 2.1.

Posted on May 30, 2016 8:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2016 11:54 PM

Hi jg,

The usual cause of this message is that the document has been opened in Numbers version 3.x.x, which converts it to a newer file version whch does not use the internal index.xml file being requested by Numbers '09.

Do you have Numbers 3 installed on your machine? Has this file ever been opened in that application?

Has the file been saved to iCloud and/or opened by the iOS version of Numbers or by Numbers for iCloud?

The recommended 'cure' is to open the file using Numbers 3, then Save as.. or Export it as a Numbers '09 file. Following that, remember to Quit Numbers (v3)—Numbers menu > Quit Numbers; clicking the red traffic light closes the file, but does NOT quit Numbers. Then avoid opening Numbers files by double-clicking the file itself.

Instead, launch Numbers '09 (v2.3), and open the file from within the application.

Regards,

Barry

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2016 11:54 PM in response to jgl072360

Hi jg,

The usual cause of this message is that the document has been opened in Numbers version 3.x.x, which converts it to a newer file version whch does not use the internal index.xml file being requested by Numbers '09.

Do you have Numbers 3 installed on your machine? Has this file ever been opened in that application?

Has the file been saved to iCloud and/or opened by the iOS version of Numbers or by Numbers for iCloud?

The recommended 'cure' is to open the file using Numbers 3, then Save as.. or Export it as a Numbers '09 file. Following that, remember to Quit Numbers (v3)—Numbers menu > Quit Numbers; clicking the red traffic light closes the file, but does NOT quit Numbers. Then avoid opening Numbers files by double-clicking the file itself.

Instead, launch Numbers '09 (v2.3), and open the file from within the application.

Regards,

Barry

"The document is invalid. The index.xml file is missing".

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.