Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't open Keynote presentation - three different iCloud devices out of sync

Help - I'm getting ready to start the new school term tomorrow and some presentations on my iPad are acting up. I checked them all a few weeks ago to make sure they were all working (because I had a similar problem at the beginning of the last school year), and everything was fine. Now I am doing a double-check the day before and of course things are screwy.

I have two iPads, one for personal use and one for work. The personal iPad as well as my iPhone have Keynote on them as an emergency backup to the work iPad. All three of them are exhibiting strange (but different) behavior.

Work iPad: all presentations in all folders have upwards-pointing arrows in the corner of the presentation icon. The presentations still open, although it's sluggish. What do these arrows mean? I'm worried something catastrophic will happen ("these presentations will be called up to the mother ship unless you do a-b-c...") Tapping one them opens the presentation but doesn't do anything to the arrow.

The bigger problem is that one presentation (named "02 chemical reactivity") is missing. I'm using iCloud - shouldn't everything that's in the cloud be on the device? Here's a screenshot:

User uploaded file

So I open my personal iPad hoping for some good news, and see no upwards-pointing arrows. Good! But one presentation has a downwards-pointing arrow. (??) Also, the presentation that's missing from the work iPad is not missing from my personal one. It's #2 in the screenshot below. However, it won't open and it has a thin gray line along the bottom of the icon. Screenshot:

User uploaded file

I'll need this presentation by next week. Fortunately, the presentation is on my iPhone and it seems to work okay even though it too, has the thin gray line at the bottom of the icon:

User uploaded file

Isn't the whole point of iCloud is to keep my devices in sync, seamlessly in the background so that I don't have to do anything (or even be aware of it)?

Does anyone have any ideas how I can get presentation #02 from the iPhone to the iPad, since iCloud doesn't seem to be doing its thing?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9.1, null

Posted on May 30, 2016 8:51 PM

1 reply

May 30, 2016 9:49 PM in response to augratin

On a hunch I opened iCloud in a browser to see what was there. I still have not been able to pick my jaw up off the floor. The one presentation I'm missing from the iPad is there in iCloud, but almost all other presentations (over 200) are not there! Doesn't that mean if I sync to iCloud, all my device presentations will be erased because they don't match what's in iCloud?? I really don't have a good feeling about this.

User uploaded file

Can't open Keynote presentation - three different iCloud devices out of sync

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.