Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Will Pages 09, version 4.3 be lost when upgrading to latest OS X? And, can old pages files be opened in new version of pages?

Regarding upgrading Macbook Air and the use of Pages, older and latest version:

I have delayed upgrading my Macbook Air, OS X, version 10.9.2 because I wanted to keep working with Pages 09, version 4.3.

Currently I also have a newer version installed: 5.2 (1860), (which I never used and will delete since its layout function was less useful than the former).

My questions are:

Are there specific issues or procedures I need to be aware of, in order to secure my old version Pages files, when upgrading to latest Macbook Air version?

For instance, can I keep Pages 09.4.3 and still open and work on files in the newest Macbook Air version?

Can old Pages 09.4.3 be opened with the newest Page version?

And still confusing to me, is the newest Pages version more similar to 09.4.3 than other earlier versions?

Grateful for any input!

MacBook Air, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), Using Pages 09-4.3 (not 5.2 (1860)

Posted on May 31, 2016 2:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2016 4:48 AM

I have Pages '09 v4.3 on OS X 10.11.5. Before El Capitan, this was a Mavericks machine, and I did not reinstall Pages '09 v4.3. However, you are talking about migrating Pages '09 documents, and the application itself to the new MacBook Air. That is a different story.

If your current Pages '09 v4.3 was installed on your 2014 MacBook Air from the retail iWork '09 DVD, then it will need to be re-installed on the new MacBook Air from that DVD, and then updated with the Apple iWork 9.3 updater, for compatibility with El Capitan. This is because the iWork '09 DVD source of Pages '09, Numbers '09, and Keynote '09 installs dependent libraries in your System areas, and these cannot be reinstalled from a Time Machine or other backup.

If your Pages '09 v4.3 was originally purchased via the OS X App Store, and later updated from same, then it is portable, does not install dependent libraries, and can be copied from your older MacBook Air to the newer one.

In either case, you want to collect your custom templates from your home directory : Library : Application Support : iWork folder, and put it in the same location on your new MacBook Air. Additionally, copy following preference list files and put on a USB stick to transfer to their same location on your new MacBook Air.

1. home directory : Library : Preferences : com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist
  2. home directory : Library : Preferences : com.apple.iWork.Numbers.plist
  3. home directory : Library : Preferences : com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist

You want these because they contain all of your iWork '09 application settings, including your custom Symbol and Text Substitution characters from the respective application Preferences panels. As you know, starting with OS X Mavericks, this functionality is now set in the System Preferences : Keyboard : Text panel, and without the above files, your custom settings for the iWork '09 applications are lost.

Although Pages v5.6.2 (current) on El Capitan can generically open Pages '06, '08, and '09 documents, it continues to lack scores of features that are in Pages '09 v4.3, and those missing features will be selectively removed/mangled by Pages v5.6.2. The same caveats apply as they did on Mavericks. Other than the older document open support, nothing concrete has been done to improve Pages v5.6.2 since v5.2 on Mavericks — so Pages '09 v4.3 is still the more usable for realistic processing tasks. Documents created by Pages v5.6.2 are not directly backwards compatible with Pages v5.2.2 on Mavericks, either. My rule of thumb is never open an original Pages '09 document that you wish to keep intact, and compatible, with any release of Pages v5.

It is time that you strongly consider future proofing your Pages '09 (or older) document collection. Export them to Word (content) and PDF (layout) for preservation. Pages '09 v4.3 is living on borrowed time as it was discontinued by Apple in 2013. Apple is not taking any precautions to avoid bricking Pages '09 v4.3 in a future OS X update. If that were to occur, you could only open documents in Pages v5, at no small formatting risk. With Word docs you have a migration opportunity to alternative word processing solutions, including Office 2016 for Mac.

There are separate Pages, Numbers, and Keynote communities in the Apple Support Communities for any of your future questions.

I have requested that your post be moved over into the Pages for Mac Support Community.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2016 4:48 AM in response to tittinr

I have Pages '09 v4.3 on OS X 10.11.5. Before El Capitan, this was a Mavericks machine, and I did not reinstall Pages '09 v4.3. However, you are talking about migrating Pages '09 documents, and the application itself to the new MacBook Air. That is a different story.

If your current Pages '09 v4.3 was installed on your 2014 MacBook Air from the retail iWork '09 DVD, then it will need to be re-installed on the new MacBook Air from that DVD, and then updated with the Apple iWork 9.3 updater, for compatibility with El Capitan. This is because the iWork '09 DVD source of Pages '09, Numbers '09, and Keynote '09 installs dependent libraries in your System areas, and these cannot be reinstalled from a Time Machine or other backup.

If your Pages '09 v4.3 was originally purchased via the OS X App Store, and later updated from same, then it is portable, does not install dependent libraries, and can be copied from your older MacBook Air to the newer one.

In either case, you want to collect your custom templates from your home directory : Library : Application Support : iWork folder, and put it in the same location on your new MacBook Air. Additionally, copy following preference list files and put on a USB stick to transfer to their same location on your new MacBook Air.

1. home directory : Library : Preferences : com.apple.iWork.Pages.plist
  2. home directory : Library : Preferences : com.apple.iWork.Numbers.plist
  3. home directory : Library : Preferences : com.apple.iWork.Keynote.plist

You want these because they contain all of your iWork '09 application settings, including your custom Symbol and Text Substitution characters from the respective application Preferences panels. As you know, starting with OS X Mavericks, this functionality is now set in the System Preferences : Keyboard : Text panel, and without the above files, your custom settings for the iWork '09 applications are lost.

Although Pages v5.6.2 (current) on El Capitan can generically open Pages '06, '08, and '09 documents, it continues to lack scores of features that are in Pages '09 v4.3, and those missing features will be selectively removed/mangled by Pages v5.6.2. The same caveats apply as they did on Mavericks. Other than the older document open support, nothing concrete has been done to improve Pages v5.6.2 since v5.2 on Mavericks — so Pages '09 v4.3 is still the more usable for realistic processing tasks. Documents created by Pages v5.6.2 are not directly backwards compatible with Pages v5.2.2 on Mavericks, either. My rule of thumb is never open an original Pages '09 document that you wish to keep intact, and compatible, with any release of Pages v5.

It is time that you strongly consider future proofing your Pages '09 (or older) document collection. Export them to Word (content) and PDF (layout) for preservation. Pages '09 v4.3 is living on borrowed time as it was discontinued by Apple in 2013. Apple is not taking any precautions to avoid bricking Pages '09 v4.3 in a future OS X update. If that were to occur, you could only open documents in Pages v5, at no small formatting risk. With Word docs you have a migration opportunity to alternative word processing solutions, including Office 2016 for Mac.

There are separate Pages, Numbers, and Keynote communities in the Apple Support Communities for any of your future questions.

I have requested that your post be moved over into the Pages for Mac Support Community.

May 31, 2016 6:11 AM in response to VikingOSX

Thank you VikingOSX!

I probably wasn't clear enough about this; but for the time being I'm not getting a new machine. If I understand you correctly, most of your answer is based on the assumption I needed to migrate Pages files. Although that is not yet needed, I do appreciate this depth of information as it makes me well prepared for any future need to change machine.

As for now, I'm still on the same machine OS X, v. 10.9.2 where my old Pages '09 v4.3 is installed. And yes, the machine was purchased with Iwork installed.

I use the Page Layout not Word Processing because my files contain mostly images only with sparingly explanatory text. The Page Layout's easy way to play around with images is why I prefer this version.

I will certainly look into your advice about "future proofing" my Pages '09. Fortunately I have PDF files of almost all.

Thank you for pointing out this as well: " As you know, starting with OS X Mavericks, this functionality is now set in the System Preferences".

However, as I'm just upgrading to El Capitan, still same machine (which came with Pages 09 installed), can I rely on Time Machine or other backup if there is a problem with Pages '09 files?

Or is the USB stick you propose still the better bet?

Thanks for moving the post to the correct community!

May 31, 2016 6:10 AM in response to Csound1

Csound1,

thank you, you are probably right!

Easy to become lazy about changing habits. But I'm not writing books, or long texts. I use the Page Layout, not Word Processing, because my files contain mostly images only with sparingly explanatory text. This version of Pages allowed me to play around with images in such an easy way.

Since word processing is not my main need, but nice looking pages are, do you have suggestions for any other tools? Something that let's me manipulate and use both photos and create simple images, all combined with a few text blocks.

Will Pages 09, version 4.3 be lost when upgrading to latest OS X? And, can old pages files be opened in new version of pages?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.