Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to fix a stuck side button on the Apple Watch

Sorry guys this is more a question that I am actually going to answer myself so that anyone else desperately googling can hopefully find it and potentially save themselves the same grief.

There are stacks of articles and community posts all over the internet about the Apple Watch crown issue getting sticky or stuck but nothing on what to do if the side button gets stuck.

After just recently having set up Apple pay I went to double click the side button but found to my horror it was stuck. I thought I had pressed it too hard once and it became wedged in there or something awful like that but turns out thats not the case.

Upon reading up on how some people recommend gently watching the digital crown under warm water (not hot, warm) I decided, what the ****, I dont have anything to loose here, I'll try rinse it and see if the side button comes right.

To my absolute delight, within a matter of seconds, it was no longer stuck. Must have the same issue as the digital crown and get gunky or crud (no idea how it would get in such a tiny space but hey) and the warm water losened it. Now operates just as it did before.

Theres this hesitation putting such an expensive device under running water (under the tap) but it would seem they can actually take a bit of water if you rinse it (like washing your hands with it on I guess, doesnt really impact it in anyway). Its only if you do something silly like submerge the whole thing underwater that you might have issues.

Might not fix EVERY persons problem but i guess as a potential troubleshooting step this might help you should it be the same issue as mine.

Cheers guys

Apple Watch, iOS 9.3.2, Side Button

Posted on May 31, 2016 4:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Apr 1, 2017 3:16 AM

When I saw the subject for this thread, I was thinking; Weird, I got an answer matching my query on the fist go.

"Stuck side button on Apple Watch"

Nope.

Everything comes up Crowns.

I really do have a stuck side button. The crown is just fine.

The side button, however, makes emergency calls from time to time.

Is there an easy fix?

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Apr 1, 2017 3:16 AM in response to Groovy_Glen

When I saw the subject for this thread, I was thinking; Weird, I got an answer matching my query on the fist go.

"Stuck side button on Apple Watch"

Nope.

Everything comes up Crowns.

I really do have a stuck side button. The crown is just fine.

The side button, however, makes emergency calls from time to time.

Is there an easy fix?

How to fix a stuck side button on the Apple Watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.