Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Underscore a letter in an email address?

Perplexed!! A friend gave me an email address and one of the letters in the address is "Underscored." While I was trying to input this new email address in my "Contacts", I find it impossible to underscore one of the letters in the email address. Is there a way, to simply explain, how to underscore a letter in this email address? I have searched for an answer on Apple Support but have not found an explanation, I could not understand. I have an IMac 10.8.5 ( Mountain Lion ) with a wireless keyboard. I do hope there is a simple answer for this simple person. Thanks.

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on May 31, 2016 12:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2016 12:23 PM

You misunderstood your friend. One of the letters in their email address IS an underscore. To type an underscore '_' use the SHIFT and '-' key.

2 replies

May 31, 2016 12:13 PM in response to nuguy2

You can't underscore a letter an email address, to the best of my. Sometimes, underscores are used where there would be a space, like in my user name here on the forums, St._Clair. And, sometimes, when people are writing down passwords, they underscore letters that are meant to be capital in case it's not clear. But email addresses themselves are not case sensitive.

Contact your friend and confirm what's going on.

Underscore a letter in an email address?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.