Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem w/160gb iPod Classic & 2016 Chevy MyLink System

Just bought a 2016 Volt last Friday. My first American car since the 70s! Love it but the problem is my 160gb iPod Classic doesn't work with the MyLink system and that takes the shine off the new buggy (pun intended) ever so slightly. Totally a first world problem I know but everything should work as advertised on a brand new $40,000 automobile, dontcha think?

First problem was the system didn't see all the content on the iPod. Then it started disconnecting randomly in the middle of a song. Don't seem to be able to play but one or two tunes before it just disconnects and the screen says there's no media. I've done a hard reset of the iPod, restored it on my computer, no help.

Took it to the Chevy dealer yesterday but no help there either, They said they'd look into it. Apple CarPlay works fine w/my iPhone 6 but I don't put music on my phone, just the iPod. Have way too much music to fit on an iPhone, Guess I'm old school that way.

Possible work arounds are using the aux input but then I don't get the onscreen display and need to navigate through the content via the iPod itself which is not a good idea while driving. Another is to put the music on a USB flash drive but that's not a very practical solution either as it raises other issues. Would much rather the system work as advertised.

The iPod worked perfectly on my previous car, a 2006 Scion TC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

All the best!

~dm

Posted on Jun 1, 2016 1:11 PM

5 replies

Apr 13, 2017 9:02 AM in response to Duneman

Have same issue with 2017 Lincoln MKZ and 160GB iPod. I'm sure that the systems are different (it is called Sync 3, I believe) but the symptoms are the same. I have a feeling that it is an issue with indexing such a large volume, as the iPod will play some songs but eventually it freezes and has to be reset. Even the Lincoln logo stays on when disconnected before a reset. Just had the car in to dealer to check, but they said all is fine. I'm guessing that this is

a software issue and hoping that it can be corrected soon. Other iPods (smaller ones) work OK, as does iPhone and an iPod touch with Bluetooth. Another thing I noted is even when the 160GB one works for a bit, it has the "Artist" shown in large letters with "Song" title in small, below it. This is opposite of normal. All of the devices noted above do this, leading me to think that software is responsible.

Jun 1, 2016 1:34 PM in response to Duneman

Just bought a 2016 Volt last Friday. My first American car since the 70s! Love it but the problem is my 160gb iPod Classic doesn't work with the MyLink system and that takes the shine off the new buggy (pun intended) ever so slightly. Totally a first world problem I know but everything should work as advertised on a brand new $40,000 automobile, dontcha think?

First problem was the system didn't see all the content on the iPod. Then it started disconnecting randomly in the middle of a song. Don't seem to be able to play but one or two tunes before it just disconnects and the screen says there's no media. I've done a hard reset of the iPod, restored it on my computer, no help.

Took it to the Chevy dealer yesterday but no help there either, They said they'd look into it. Apple CarPlay works fine w/my iPhone 6 but I don't put music on my phone, just the iPod. Have way too much music to fit on an iPhone, Guess I'm old school that way.

Possible work arounds are using the aux input but then I don't get the onscreen display and need to navigate through the content via the iPod itself which is not a good idea while driving. Another is to put the music on a USB flash drive but that's not a very practical solution either as it raises other issues. Would much rather the system work as advertised.

The iPod worked perfectly on my previous car, a 2006 Scion TC.

Any help would be much appreciated.

All the best!

~dm

Was in a similar situation as you and decided to switch to a combination of iTunes Match and Apple Music and stream content from my iPhone. I don't need my iPod anymore and have WAY more music than I could have ever fit on my 160GB iPod and have full access to CarPlay on my aftermarket Pioneer unit. And I certainly don't miss having to sync my iPod every time I obtained some new music content - it is just there waiting for me when I want it. And technically, I don't have any music on my iPhone either - although I have chosen to copy some of my playlists to my iPhone for specific reasons.

The downside, if it is a downside, is that you have to stream. And of course there is a additional cost involved. And, if you had high bit-rate content on your iPod you likely will miss out on that via streaming.

At least for me, the pros of going to Apple Music way outweighed the cons and I have never looked back. To each their own - but it would allow you to use all the new features of your new Volt's system.

SCR

Jun 1, 2016 6:32 PM in response to scr21

Thanks for your reply!

Interesting and novel idea, but doesn't iTunes match cost extra? Also, it's a company phone and they don't take too kindly to that sort of data usage. On the way home this evening used the aux in and it sounded very good on the Volt's Bose system. This will probably be the work around until a solution to the MyLink bug presents itself.

all the best!

~dm

Jun 17, 2016 7:22 AM in response to Duneman

Well three weeks in and lots going on with this. Took it into the dealer. MyLink update installed. More issues than before.

New issues:

Crackling over the USB connection

System randomly switches from radio (AM/FM/XM) mode to the iPhone when iPhone is connected via USB or Bluetooth

When reaching the end of a song the system randomly switches to another artist/album/song

Previous Issues (still occurring) before the software update:

Crackling over the Aux input

Random Switching from iPod to iPhone

System randomly drops the iPod connection and displays error message "No Media Found"

System does not display all files on the iPod. I have two iPod Classics, one 80GB and a 160GB. I've been using the 80GB with just a few albums on it to trouble shoot. Files are in the ALAC (Apple Lossless Audio Codec) format. The files on the 160GB iPod are in the AAC (Apple Advanced Audio Codec) format.

All of the above occurs when the iPhone is connected via CarPlay or Bluetooth. When iPhone is not connected random switching between sources does not occur but crackling still occurs over AUX and USB. Tech ordered and will install a new receptacle to hopefully at least correct the cracking noise which now also is audible over USB.

Was rooting around on the interwebs the other evening and found a CarPlay FAQ on www.my.chevrolet.com. There's a number to call if one has issues with the "Infotainment System switching away from previously selected radio/audio source."

How 'bout them apples? Called and lo and behold this is a very well known issue. Not sure why the dealer didn't know but there you go.

According to the rep and he seemed to know what he was talking about, the issue is that the last two Apple IOS updates conflict with MyLink causing the issue. They get MANY calls every day. Nothing to be done until Apple corrects the code.

I see iOS 10 is coming this fall. APPLE PLEASE CORRECT THIS ISSUE!

Sigh.

Problem w/160gb iPod Classic & 2016 Chevy MyLink System

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.