Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I have Profile Manager use the Device Name used when setting up Placeholders?

Can I have Profile Manager use the Device Name used when setting up Placeholders? Currently all get renamed "iPad" when configuring device via DEP.

Posted on Jun 1, 2016 12:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2016 9:05 AM

No, but

I've been putting new devices into temporary Device groups and renaming them in bulk once they're provisioned for the user, using device/user variables..

The other annoying issue would the user changing the device name when they connect it iTunes...

• %email% – The email address (the EMailAddress attribute)
  • %first_name% – The first name (the FirstName attribute)
  • %full_name% – The full name (the RealName attribute)
  • %guid% The guid (the GeneratedID attribute)
  • %last_name% – The last name (the LastName attribute)
  • %job_title% The job title (the JobTitle attribute)

- %mobile_phone% The mobile number (the MobileNumber attribute)

%short_name% The short name (the RecordName attribute, typically the name of the account )

The device variables are as follow:

• %BuildVersion% – Full OS version on the device
  • %ICCID% – ICCID (from the SIM card)
  • %IMEI% – IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity)
  • %OSVersion% – Common version number of the device’s OS
  • %ProductName% – Product name
  • %SerialNumber% – Serial number
  • %WIFIMAC% – MAC address of the WiFi interface
12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2016 9:05 AM in response to datha

No, but

I've been putting new devices into temporary Device groups and renaming them in bulk once they're provisioned for the user, using device/user variables..

The other annoying issue would the user changing the device name when they connect it iTunes...

• %email% – The email address (the EMailAddress attribute)
  • %first_name% – The first name (the FirstName attribute)
  • %full_name% – The full name (the RealName attribute)
  • %guid% The guid (the GeneratedID attribute)
  • %last_name% – The last name (the LastName attribute)
  • %job_title% The job title (the JobTitle attribute)

- %mobile_phone% The mobile number (the MobileNumber attribute)

%short_name% The short name (the RecordName attribute, typically the name of the account )

The device variables are as follow:

• %BuildVersion% – Full OS version on the device
  • %ICCID% – ICCID (from the SIM card)
  • %IMEI% – IMEI (International Mobile Equipment Identity)
  • %OSVersion% – Common version number of the device’s OS
  • %ProductName% – Product name
  • %SerialNumber% – Serial number
  • %WIFIMAC% – MAC address of the WiFi interface

Jun 14, 2016 8:53 PM in response to datha

I'm going through the same thing right now. But, when I try to rename the iPads in Profile Manager, I'm only able to rename them one at a time. How are you able to do this in bulk with the variables as RiversTechoffice suggests? I've got 800 iPads to import in. Actually, all 800 are already in as placeholders from DEP. I imported a windows csv file with serial numbers and a device name (school initials-iPad-01-30) matched, and that changed those placeholders to the name I intended, but as soon as they enroll, right back to "iPad" At least I'm able to create a group from the import.

Jun 14, 2016 9:42 PM in response to cmills86

On the left side you'll see "device groups" below "devices"

click on "device groups"

click the plus button, this will create a device group (name it something useful to you)

click on the desired group

click the gear options and add devices

put in "ipad" and add all (good for newly enrolled devices)

From the same gear options

click rename and put in your desired variables for your naming scheme

The rename function can only do the above variables. I haven't found a way to do custom variables.

For example

Rivers %SerialNumber%

Will become

Rivers XXXXXXXXXXXX

It will grab the serial number of the device and name it that

And if your ipads are assigned to users

%short_name% - %SerialNumber%

will become

example user - XXXXXXXXXXXX

The variables also work in the new Lock Screen Profile settings

Jun 15, 2016 5:03 AM in response to RiversTechoffice

So the trick is that you have to use variables. Which I don't want to do. These are all iPads that go into a mobile cart for student use, and are numbered 1-30. Using the Serial Number doesn't really give me any useful information. I know I can do this with Apple Configurator, so that may be what I have to do. Hopefully one day Apple will come up with a better solution for naming.

Jun 15, 2016 5:14 PM in response to RiversTechoffice

I saw that option, I'm going to do that and add the QR code. But for some reason I can only get configurator to pick up 10 iPads at a time. I've had this exact same problem on my MacBook with a completely different cart and set of ipads. Now on an iMac with a brand new set of iPads, and it will only load 10. And I hate how it randomly decides which ones to pick up and which one gets what number, livable, but a pain nevertheless. Configurator only picking up 10 out of 30 iPads at a time, not livable.

Jun 15, 2016 9:50 PM in response to cmills86

I have this issue too, its not just you, it seemed to have pop up during the ios 9 update.

Another tip for you, make a profile restriction to disable the changing the of wallpaper, and add it to the devices after you've renamed everything.

When we were doing classroom sets the kids were going in and changing the lockscreen wallpaper all the time.

Jun 16, 2016 5:19 AM in response to RiversTechoffice

Already done. Our students are terrible about that stuff. We have to have EVERYTHING locked down or they will mess with it. K-12 kids. They were even peeling off our asset tags until we switched to stop tags and super glue them to laptops, iPads, chromebooks, what have you, occasional we still find evidence of them trying to get those off. They pluck off keys from desktops and rearrange them, just pluck off keys from laptops to never be seen again. Sheww, glad today is the last day for students haha.

Can I have Profile Manager use the Device Name used when setting up Placeholders?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.