Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I reduce the file size of my jpeg files.

I am trying to reduce the size of my original photos to upload to a newspaper. I have tried doing this in Preview but I don't have a "save as" under my file drop down menu and I don't want to change my original photos. Another thing that happens, it just keeps running with stop until I have to force quit.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5), purchased Mac in April, 2016

Posted on Jun 1, 2016 6:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 8, 2016 5:36 PM

In Photos select the image. Press cmd and d buttons this will create a duplicate image.

Select the copied picture & double click.

(You may Click 'Edit' in the top right corner if you wish to make some colour changes etc.

Save changes)

Making sure you have selected the image you want use,

Go to 'File' move down to 'Export' follow the triangle to 'export 1 item' (if you have a few photos selected it will display the number of photos)

In the Dialog box you have the option of setting the desired 'Photo Kind' (JPEG, Tiff [for commercial print] & PNG)

In the size Dropdown menu you can select Small, Medium, Large, Full Size or Custom (There you can set the pixel width or height as desired)

Press export or return, Find & select the folder where you would like to save the image.

Photos output images as RGB colour

For Newspapers CYMK colour is required.

I suggest you ask at the newspaper, what kind of images can they use. They may be willing to do the colour changes for you.

Alternatively select you image then via File, Export the image at 'Full size' and edit in another photo editing app.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 8, 2016 5:36 PM in response to Retha.T

In Photos select the image. Press cmd and d buttons this will create a duplicate image.

Select the copied picture & double click.

(You may Click 'Edit' in the top right corner if you wish to make some colour changes etc.

Save changes)

Making sure you have selected the image you want use,

Go to 'File' move down to 'Export' follow the triangle to 'export 1 item' (if you have a few photos selected it will display the number of photos)

In the Dialog box you have the option of setting the desired 'Photo Kind' (JPEG, Tiff [for commercial print] & PNG)

In the size Dropdown menu you can select Small, Medium, Large, Full Size or Custom (There you can set the pixel width or height as desired)

Press export or return, Find & select the folder where you would like to save the image.

Photos output images as RGB colour

For Newspapers CYMK colour is required.

I suggest you ask at the newspaper, what kind of images can they use. They may be willing to do the colour changes for you.

Alternatively select you image then via File, Export the image at 'Full size' and edit in another photo editing app.

Jun 1, 2016 7:46 PM in response to Retha.T

There are many ways

select the photos in Photos and export (file Menu ==> export)

you can crop the photos in the Photos application to make them smaller

You can use the quality attribute in the export window to increase the compression and thereby decrease file size

You can use the size attribute in the export window to reduce the pixel size and thereby decrease file size

If these controls are not visible in the export window click on the v to the right of JPEG to open the full window

LN

Sep 8, 2016 5:04 PM in response to LarryHN

Thank you so much for reminding me to click the full window sign for more choices! I just changed to El Capitan and Photos. The familiar size choices were not visible...creature of habit that I am AND Apple, who does not say much about small changes, left me looking and looking, almost downloading a third party app to resize my photos as in previous systems!

I thought the "fuller" window was for other choices such as png and tiff...

I am sincerely grateful!

How do I reduce the file size of my jpeg files.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.