Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Ubee modem DDW36C + Airport Extreme -> how to connect?

Hello,

I am an absolute beginner.

OK, I am a TWC customer and have a lot of Apple products at home (Macbook, iPads, iPods, iPhones, etc). I just got "upgraded" to the new modem+router Ubee DDW36C and it works fine.

Previously, my TWC modem was wired (ethernet) to my Airport Extreme and the Airport was providing the WiFi in the house. The TWC rep told me the Ubee is actually a modem+router so there is no need for the Airport anymore.

Nevertheless, in some parts of the house (I live in a big house), WiFi gets sluggish, so I thought that connecting the Airport Extreme back to the Ubee would boost the WiFi range.

Anyway, long story short, this does not work as the Airport keeps blinking when connected to the Ubee by ethernet and is not being seen.

Yesterday, I tried to talk to TWC support while at work and they gave me the steps to follow to do what I want to do. I did that at home and I completely lost my Internet! Basically, my devices were connecting to the Ubee (and not the Airport) but not to the Internet. I spent 3 hours on the phone with TWC and multiple resets of the Ubee to go back to the original settings... Which are not satisfactory as I still have poor internet in various places of the house.

The TWC guy agreed however that plugging the Airport would boost the range but we were unable to do it.

Could anyone come and help me? The TWC guy was mentioning "bridging" but I am not sure what he meant.

So:

1) can the Airport Extreme be linked via ethernet to the Ubee DDW36C? If so, should it be ethernet to ethernet or should it be ethernet to WAN?

2) what do I need to do to make it work? I don't want to spend 3hrs with TWC on the phone and I don't want to lose my Internet again!

Please use simple words and detailed explanations / steps-by-steps if you can!

Thanks for any help.

jerome

Posted on Jun 2, 2016 8:01 AM

3 replies

Jun 2, 2016 9:34 AM in response to jeromefromgreensboro

1) can the Airport Extreme be linked via ethernet to the Ubee DDW36C? If so, should it be ethernet to ethernet or should it be ethernet to WAN?

In the long run it doesn't matter, but for consistency connect the Ethernet cable coming from the Ubee gateway to the WAN (circle-of-dots) port on the AirPort Extreme base station (AEBS).

2) what do I need to do to make it work? I don't want to spend 3hrs with TWC on the phone and I don't want to lose my Internet again!

The end result we are going for is to extend the Ubee's Wi-Fi network using the AEBS in a roaming network configuration. With this type of network, these device need to be interconnected by Ethernet. In a roaming network, each wireless router will broadcast its own Wi-Fi network, but since they will all use the same network name and use the same security type (WPA or WPA2) & password, wireless network clients will see them as a "single" network.

The key is to first perform a "factory default" reset on the AEBS. This will get it back to its "out-of-the-box" configuration so that you can set it up with the AirPort Utility on either you Mac or iOS device.

Please review the links that I provided and post back if you have any questions or need further assistance.

Jun 2, 2016 7:15 PM in response to Tesserax

Hello,

Thanks for the quick reply. Your understanding of the end result is correct.

So I did the "factory default" reset on the AEBS and tried again using your instructions. It did not work. AEBS is blinking and my signal is the same.

So before, trying again, I would like to know if my parameters are correct.

when plugged in, with ethernet on the modem and WAN on the AEBS, the AEBS is blinking orange.

When opening the airport utility and trying to configure:

- on the "Base Station" tab, I have put a name for the AEBS and inserted the wifi network password

- on the "Internet" tab, should I connect with DHCP, Static or PPPoE?

- on the "Wireless" tab, should I be on "Create a wireless mode" or something else? I have manually entered the the wireless network name and password and set the wireless security to WPA2 Personal. Is it correct?

- on the "Network" tab, what should the Router mode be? "DHCP and NAT"? or "DHCP only"? or "Off (Bridge Mode)"?

- on the "Disks" tab, I have nothing.

Please let me know what I should do with the settings above. Anything else? Should I change something on the Ubee modem (I hope not as I am worried it would mess up my Internet again and I would spend 3hrs on the phone with TWC...)

Remember, I am an absolute beginner, so easy step-by-step instructions would be of great help!

Thanks again.

jerome

Jun 3, 2016 9:45 AM in response to jeromefromgreensboro

- on the "Base Station" tab, I have put a name for the AEBS and inserted the wifi network password

The password on this tab is not the network password. It is the password used by the base station's administrator to access it. This is also known as the Administrator's password. The default value is: public. You are correct, in that, it should be changed so that only you can administer the base station. Note: You would change the wireless network's security password on the Wireless tab.

- on the "Internet" tab, should I connect with DHCP, Static or PPPoE?

You have a choice of either using DHCP or Static in this case. To keep things simple, I suggest that you choose: DHCP

- on the "Wireless" tab, should I be on "Create a wireless mode" or something else? I have manually entered the the wireless network name and password and set the wireless security to WPA2 Personal. Is it correct?

Yes, for this case, the Network Mode should be: Create a wireless network. Also WPA2 Personal is the best choice, as well.

- on the "Network" tab, what should the Router mode be? "DHCP and NAT"? or "DHCP only"? or "Off (Bridge Mode)"?

Router Mode should be: Off (Bridge Mode) for this set up.

- on the "Disks" tab, I have nothing.

That is fine. Until you attach an external USB drive to the AEBS, you can ignore this tab for now.

Should I change something on the Ubee modem (I hope not as I am worried it would mess up my Internet again and I would spend 3hrs on the phone with TWC...)

The good news is no, you do not need to make any changes on the Ubee gateway. We want to leave it configured as is. Again, to help with your understanding, your Ubee "modem" is actually a combination modem and router ... also known as a gateway device.

The following is a "step-by-step" guide, using the AirPort Utility's "manual" setup mode to configure your roaming network.

Note: This guide is assuming that you started by performing a "factory default" reset on your AEBS.

• AirPort Utility > Click on "Other Wi-Fi Devices" in the utility's menu bar > Select your AEBS.
  • Base Station tab > Base Station Name > Enter a unique name here. Using AEBS is perfectly fine.
  • Internet tab > Connect Using: DHCP
  • Wireless tab > Network Mode: Create a wireless network
    • Wireless Network Name > (Enter the same network name (aka, SSID) used for the Ubee's Wi-Fi network)
    • Wireless Security: WPA2 Personal (This must be the same type used by the Ubee. Note: Non-apple routers may call this wireless security setting WPA-PSK (AES) or something similar.)
    • Wireless Password > (Enter the same wireless password that is used for the Ubee's Wi-Fi network.)
  • Network tab > Router Mode: Off (Bridge Mode)
  • Click on Update, and allow the AEBS to restart.

The end result is that the AEBS should now be broadcasting its own Wi-Fi network, but use the same network credentials as used by the Ubee's network. Again, this is so all wireless clients will "see" only a single network and can connect to either router for network/Internet access.

New Ubee modem DDW36C + Airport Extreme -> how to connect?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.