Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Expanding an array

I have expanded my RAID5 array... with one disk more...
After manay hours thge result seems to be OK!

But to finalize (complete) this I read on the documentation: "... select slicing, and merge the slices on the array vtaht you just expanded..."

When I do thant "Advanced->Slicing" and I select this operation... A warning say to me that this action erase the entire Array (not just the disk merged)...

Is this right?

NB: Before to do do an expansion, I have tell to my favoirite apple support "can I expand an array without looose data? The response was..

"
Modifying a RAID Array
Once a RAID array is established, you can expand it by adding one or more drives to it.
Expanding an array preserves the data on the original array. Be sure that your file
system supports expansion. See “Expanding an Array” on page 38 for details on
expanding an array.

Source : http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/XserveRAID1.2_AdminGuide.pdf

..."

What is the truth?

Regards... and thank you.

Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Dec 4, 2006 3:32 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 4, 2006 7:39 AM

According to page 38, it says if your array has been previously sliced all data will be lost. What was your array setup prior to expanding it? How many disks did you have on RAID 5?
5 replies

Dec 4, 2006 8:46 AM in response to baque

I'm pretty sure you can expand the array and merge the slices without losing data.

However, it would be absolutely foolish to do this without a full and proper backup. And in that case, I would strongly... STRONGLY... suggest that the best approach is just to dump the 4-disk RAID 5 and create a new 7-disk RAID 5. Faster and easier, and the OS won't have any problems recognizing or growing the volume... like it might with a volume you expanded.

Expanding an array

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.