Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

set up child account without another apple product

My daughter just got an ipod. I would like to set her up as a child account, but from what I read I need to have my own apple product to do that. Is there a workaround? I do not own another apple product.

Thanks

iPod touch, iOS 9.3.1

Posted on Jun 2, 2016 10:57 AM

7 replies

Jun 3, 2016 12:33 PM in response to King_Penguin

Thank you for that. I got to the point where i was able to register her an icloud account and after logging myself out, logging her in to the ipod. Now i have it set up as a family share, with all downloads to be approved by me. However, we tried going to the app store under her account to download an app. It says she needs to ask for approval, which we click (after first needing to enter her password twice for some reason - every single time). Then nothing. I don't get an email, I don't have any notifications if I log back in to the ipod, and I don't get any notifications on icloud for Windows (which I should, according to the instructions found here: Re: set up child account without another apple product). I feel bad for her, but I'm not allowing her unfettered access, and if there's no reasonable solution it's going bye bye.

So despite my misgivings about letting her get an iPod, I relented, and I am getting more and more frustrated by the minute. The only silver lining is that compared to the mini tablet I wanted her to get, this is small enough to flush!

Thanks in advance for any more advice

Jun 4, 2016 12:30 AM in response to bggbgg

You could turn off 'ask to buy' for her account (Request and make purchases with Ask to Buy - Apple Support), and instead not let her know her account's password (if she already knows it you could change it via http://appleid.apple.com ; What to do after you change your Apple ID email address or password - Apple Support) - you would then have to enter it to buy/download anything new.

If you do that there are a couple of settings on her iPod that you might want to check/change, all are in Settings > General > Restrictions (you need to have Restrictions enabled to change/set them ; the Restrictions passcode doesn't, and probably shouldn't be as I assume that your daughter will know it, the same as the passcode to unlock the iPod)

- Password Settings . The default might be '15 minutes' which means that the account's password doesn't have to be re-entered for 15 minutes after entering, potentially allowing further purchases without it.

- Installing Apps - that will hide the App Store app so that the store can't be browsed and therefore items downloaded. When she potentially wants something you could turn that back 'on' to unhide the app and supervise her browsing/downloading.

- iTunes Store - similarly hides the iTunes Store app

- In-App Purchases - prevent in-app purchases being done in apps

- there is also an 'allowed contend' section, if you aren't (or potentially even if you are) going to hide the store apps you may want to block explicit music, and age-rated films/TV programmes - they will still show in the store, but she won't be able to download them nor play their previews in the store.

(For the editing of a post, you only have 15 minutes after originally posting the reply to edit it, during that time an Edit button should show on the post.)

Jun 4, 2016 8:41 PM in response to King_Penguin

I was afraid of that. It seems to me that despite what is written on the Apple support page, family share is not compatible with a one Apple product household. The potential for her to be able to request something at a time that she would tend to be using the iPod (after school) and for me to review and approve it when I have the time (typically 3AM during a lull in the operating room) was what I was looking for. The idea of her having to physically be in the same room as me to do anything is far from ideal or even practical (and Mom is not so technologically inclined as to be a good middleman).

set up child account without another apple product

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.