Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Blocks instead of sine wave.

Why do my audio tracks look like square blocks and not those graceful, sinusoidal lines we all love? Many thanks for any hints as to what I might be doing wrong.

Regards,

MichaelUser uploaded file

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Samsung SyncMaster BX2450

Posted on Jun 2, 2016 6:06 PM

5 replies

Jun 2, 2016 8:52 PM in response to mckelly46

The display of the waveform depends on the Zoom level. The more you zoom in the more detailed you will see the waveform.

Just one question, are you sure you are on the latest version of Logic Pro X. I remember that the appearance of the waveform was improved with one of the most recent updates, I guess it was 10.2.1

Hope that helps

Edgar Rothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Jun 2, 2016 9:16 PM in response to mckelly46

Michael, you aren't the first one to complain of this very problem. I think Logic used to have a setting for lo-res waveforms so they would redraw quickly without using much CPU/graphics power, but I don't think that exists anymore, have you tried redrawing the waveforms.

I'm going to check my past messages and see if I can find the thread.

Jun 2, 2016 9:35 PM in response to mckelly46

First thing to check is that Logic's Preferences/Audio Recording Delay = 0 (dead center)

if it's not set to zero, set it to zero, quit and restart Logic.

You may have to fo to the Options/Audio menu and select "Refresh Overviews" (at least that's where Refresh is on Logic 9)

Next would be to delete Logic's preferences and let them rebuild to defaults.

Also... what type of audio file are you recording to? Try using WAV or AIFF format, 16 or 24 bit.

Jun 13, 2016 6:48 PM in response to mckelly46

I received a number of suggestions, i.e. zoom and the recording delay at 0, but nothing helps. I've also installed the latest LPX update (10.2.3) but this hasn't changed things either.

Right now it's impossible to use any of the audio flex editing tools.

Any other suggestions?

Kindest regards to all who have give some time to consider this issue.

User uploaded file

(a recent snap of the weird, block audio wav form from LPX 10.2.3)

Michael Kelly

Blocks instead of sine wave.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.