Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot restore iPhone error 51

While I was listening to my music, and browsing another app, I decided to turn my data off because it wasn't working. At that moment all my music was wiped. Upon syncing my phone with itunes, I noticed my songs were greyed out and I couldn't play them. I then tried restoring my phone, and after backing it up, itunes gives me an error 51, and cannot restore my phone.

iPhone 6s+

I've tried disabling Windows Media Player, connecting through a USB hub. Nothing has worked

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 2, 2016 8:04 PM

1 reply

Jun 6, 2016 7:44 AM in response to Ben3362

Hey there Ben3362,

It sounds like you are attempting to restore your iPhone 6s Plus through iTunes and are unable to complete the restore due to receiving error 51. You've done some great troubleshooting steps thus far, which is awesome.

To begin, let's ensure you've completed all the steps listed in this article:

If you see an error when you update or restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201210

If those items don't resolve the restore error, there are a few more helpful suggestions found here:

Get help with iOS update and restore errors - Apple Support

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204770

Specifically, I'd take a look at the section below. Even though it lists error 53, the specific troubleshooting would still be relevant:

Check for hardware issues

If you see error 53, learn what to do. If you see one of the errors below, you might have a hardware issue:

• 1, 3, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 16
  • 20, 21, 23, 26, 27, 28, 29, 34, 35, 36, 37, 40, 56
  • 1002, 1004, 1011, 1012, 1014, 1667 1669

Here's what to check:

1. Make sure that you have the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Check for issues with third-party security software.
  3. Make sure that your USB cable, computer, and network are reliable. Then try twice more to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod.
  4. If you still see the error message, you can check for outdated or modified software or contact Apple Support.

As an additional isolation step, if you have access to another computer with iTunes, you can try to restore your device using that computer. This can also be accomplished by visiting an Apple Retail Store or an Apple Authorized Service Provider. If you want to visit an Apple Store, do be sure to book an appointment. Here's a link to help you find nearby service locations: https://locate.apple.com/country

Best of luck to you and have a great rest of your day!

Cannot restore iPhone error 51

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.