Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dictation and Siri problem over cellular data network

Whenever I try using dictation or Siri over 3G or 4G, on my iPhone 6 using the latest iOS 9.3.2, it doesn't work, and after a while, Siri informs me that is has problems with the network connection. Browsing works the next second and I have had emails being received while Siri was trying to connect to Apple servers.

Of course, everything works fine ofer wifi. I have not noticed this behaviour after a certain update, since I have been using dictation and Siri daily after the latest update. Other services like FaceTime and iMessages work over cellular.

I have already wiped the phone clean and reinstalled from iCloud backup.

Needless to say, it is very annoying.

iPhone 6, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 2, 2016 10:54 PM

7 replies

Jun 6, 2016 9:56 AM in response to KSamuel

Welcome KSamuel,

From what I gather, your iPhone is working just fine except with Siri over 3G or 4G cellular connections. While on these connections, everything else works but Siri. You have erased the iPhone and restored a back up with no results.

The resource below provides some specific troubleshooting steps for issues with Safari. I realize you may have already tried some of these, but try these steps once again in the order presented.

Use Siri on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

If the issue persists, restoring the iPhone is a terrific step to resolve many software issues. This leaves restoring the iPhone to new to make sure the issue isn't a damaged file on your back up. Let's make a fresh back up of your iPhone and then reinstall it to factory settings using this article: Use iTunes on your Mac or PC to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings

Once you finish this, don't restore the back up right away but set the iPhone up as new. Then test Siri. If the issue is resolved, restore the back up and test again. You can restore your back ups using this article: Restore your device from an iCloud or iTunes backup Let us know how it goes.

Regards

Jun 6, 2016 2:37 PM in response to alex_oz

Thanks for the advice. Didn't realise there is a difference between resetting your device from the menu and restoring from iTunes. So, just finished the restore process, tested Siri and everything worked fine. Restored from a backup I did on my computer. And Siri still works. So I guess the problem is solved. I will test it throughout the day tomorrow and keep you posted. I am however quite optimistic and thankful for the solution.

Jun 7, 2016 2:26 AM in response to chuck_3rd

Well, the success was short lived. It doesn't work. Last night, when I wrote the reply, I tested it for aprox. 5 minutes and it worked. This morning it doesn't work. Same problem. So the restore didn't fix it, it might have been just a coincidence, because it does work once, from 10-15 times I try. So, any other ideas? I am beginning to think that my provider is at fault. Phone works via wifi, Apple servers are responding for other apps. Might have some restrictions from Vodafone, although I can use my traffic for everything else. Could there be a restriction on Siri protocol if it is different from anything else? Or does Siri use a certain port that might be blocked by Vodafone?

Jun 8, 2016 10:27 AM in response to chuck_3rd

So, it turns out that Vodafone has a antivirus/firewall/antimalware/anti phishing app called Vodafone Secure Net which is obviously not working properly, as it blocks Apple apps like Siri and dictation. I asked them to disable it today and Siri and dictation are back! Feels so good to be able to use my phone to its full extent.

I have asked the employees I talked to, to forward the situation to the technical department that sets up this feature, as most people, like myself, will blame it on the phone or the software.

Dictation and Siri problem over cellular data network

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.