Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to get rid of pirrit adware PLEASE help

I somehow got the mackeeper download that downloaded the OS X pirrit? Ive used bit defender and malwarebytes (which doesn't find anything) but everytime i restart my mac its back. I can see it in my activity monitor i can use and it shows up as random things with random user each time. Could anyone PLEASE help me get rid of this?

User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Posted on Jun 3, 2016 1:31 PM

24 replies

Apr 23, 2017 8:42 AM in response to CJ706

The solution for the Pirrit adware is very simple I have try it and it works ( I had the Pirrit adware).

- Steps to get rid of Pirrit adware:

-Create an account of Sophos Home Free Antivirus.

- Sing in to Sophos Home.

- Install Sophos Home for Mac.

- Run a full Scan.

- Sophos software will detect the pirrit adwar.

- Select it

- Click Clean.

You are now free of any pirrit adware. !

Have an amazing day!

<Personal Information Edited by Host>

Jul 17, 2017 3:36 AM in response to Su Juan

Pirrit is a sneaky little monkey and hides in different places; it also has the ability to choose random names.

However, it tends to drop folders with executables into /Library with lower case names. Sometimes it hides stuff in /etc, and sometimes it creates a hidden user on your mac. To effectively diagnose it, we're going to need to see all running processes.

To get an output of all running processes, first quit any unnecessary apps, but leave your browser running. Then, in the Terminal.app, copy and paste this line (click on three times to select it all):

ps -axo user,pid,ppid,%cpu,%mem,start,time,command | open -f

Before you post the results of that in a public forum, you may want to redact any user names, which will show up in the file paths. Although it may look meaningless to you, take a quick scan through the paths under the 'Command' column to make sure you're comfortable with what's its showing (e.g, if you were running some app that you didn't want to announce publicly in this forum, either quit that app before running the terminal command or redact it manually from the file).

When you're ready, select the entire contents of the text file, copy and paste them here.

Jul 18, 2017 12:42 AM in response to Su Juan

Yes, that's Pirrit.

You can find Terminal in /Applications/Utilities folder.

I suspect Sophos won't clear those up for you because they require admin privileges. You can do it manually in the Finder.

1. Click on the Finder, then hold down Command-Shift-G

2. Write /Library in the Finder dialog and hit go.

3. Locate the folders called Jacky and troglodytismUpd

4. Drag them to the Trash, supplying an admin password. If you get a 'Can't move to the Trash because xxx is in use' message, then you'll need to search and kill those three processes in Activity monitor first (that's in /Application/Utilties too).

For the last, one, you'll need Terminal. Paste this into the Terminal window and hit 'return':

rm -rf /private/var/tmp/DemoUpdater

If you get a permission denied message, try

sudo rm -rf /private/var/tmp/DemoUpdater

and type an admin password.

If all that sounds like a bit of a nightmare, you can use DetectX to do this for you.

Reboot your mac after doing all this.

*Disclaimer: DetectX is a free utility written by myself. This post contains links to my website from which I may derive some form of compensation.

Sep 10, 2017 7:47 AM in response to CJ706

I would install Avast. It's a mac antivirus and it just found out about Pirrit. As soon as you get it, (it's free) I would do a full system scan. Antiviruses think other antiviruses are viruses, (even really bad ones like MacKeeper) and will delete them. BUT, before you do all that, I would install AppCleaner (https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/) and also re-install MacKeeper, since it leaves some files on your computer when you uninstall it, then search up MacKeeper in AppCleaner, and make sure you check every file. It worked for me, since I had these same problems before. Hope this helps! Bye!

How to get rid of pirrit adware PLEASE help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.