Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Software Update won't install updates

Every time software from Apple requests to be updated by Apple Software Update, the error pictured below pops-up and I end-up having to do a manual reinstall. Here the picture shows the most recent update for iCloud and iTunes, but I have also had QuickTime do the same thing. It would seem like each manual install would reinstall a fresh copy of ASU, but it keeps having the same issues. Please help diagnose this issue. The "Download Only" option in the popup window does work, but it would be nice for ASU to do that itself.

A software updater is pretty useless if it doesn't update software. 😝

User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 3, 2016 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2016 10:25 AM

I suspect all is not well with your copy of ASU. You could try repairing it, but I suspect a full tear down and reinstall of all Apple Software will be needed.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2016 10:25 AM in response to JetStream90

I suspect all is not well with your copy of ASU. You could try repairing it, but I suspect a full tear down and reinstall of all Apple Software will be needed.

For general advice see Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates.

The steps in the second box are a guide to removing everything related to iTunes and then rebuilding it which is often a good starting point unless the symptoms indicate a more specific approach.

Review the other boxes and the list of support documents further down the page in case one of them applies.

The further information area has direct links to the current and recent builds in case you have problems downloading, need to revert to an older version or want to try the iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) release as a workaround for installation or performance issues, or compatibility with third party software.

Your library and device backups should be unaffected by these steps but there are links to backup and recovery advice should it be needed.

tt2

Jun 7, 2016 9:08 PM in response to turingtest2

I was working on the reinstall and the iCloud uninstaller had some sort of fatal error after the point where it asked to remove all file copies from my PC (kinda annoying, but I don't use iCloud much anyway), but it uninstalled fine on the second attempt. I would recommend having the 32 & 64 bit Apple Application Support programs last on the list as it's an easy way to avoid the dialog for closing and reopening the other Apple programs.

Have the programs from the troubleshoot box 2 reinstalled. Will have to reply after a couple updates to confirm its fixed. Noticed the QuickTime note and did not replace it.

Apple Software Update won't install updates

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.