Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can iTunes import 24-bit audio files?

Hi,

I've been searching for the right settings to import audio files in 20-bit and 24-bit. Is there anyone who can tell me if iTunes is capable of importing such files without losing quality?

I am desperate looking for an answer on the internet and no one seems to know (or to care?).

Thanks for any answer, Marc

iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015), Mac OS X (10.7.5), null

Posted on Jun 4, 2016 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2016 7:42 AM

iTunes will downconvert to 16 bit if you convert the files. I use Enqueue or VLC to play files I don't want to convert. There is a free app in the App Store called FLACTunes that will convert to Apple Lossles, but it too downconverts. There was an app called Fluke that would allow iTunes to play unconverted FLAC files. I have it but it was buggy and I don't know if it is still supported.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2016 7:42 AM in response to Marcleroy

iTunes will downconvert to 16 bit if you convert the files. I use Enqueue or VLC to play files I don't want to convert. There is a free app in the App Store called FLACTunes that will convert to Apple Lossles, but it too downconverts. There was an app called Fluke that would allow iTunes to play unconverted FLAC files. I have it but it was buggy and I don't know if it is still supported.

Jun 4, 2016 9:35 AM in response to Marcleroy

Marcleroy wrote:

Hi,

I've been searching for the right settings to import audio files in 20-bit and 24-bit. Is there anyone who can tell me if iTunes is capable of importing such files without losing quality?

I am desperate looking for an answer on the internet and no one seems to know (or to care?).

Thanks for any answer, Marc

Marc,

Yes, if you have hi-def music files in WAV format you can add them to iTunes without loss of quality. To get the full experience, make sure to set your iTunes audio playback preferences to the higher values (see picture below), since the default is for the CD-quality values of 44.1 kHz with 16-bit sample size. This can be found in Preferences on the Playback tab.

Many hi-def music files are sold in the worldwide audio standard FLAC format, which unfortunately iTunes is not capable of playing. Such files will need conversion to be usable in iTunes (see Rich's post).

Also note that if you have hi-def physical CDs such as SACD, iTunes cannot rip them. The best source of hi-def files is the online stores that sell them as downloads, such hdtracks.com and others.

User uploaded file

Jun 5, 2016 3:03 PM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Jimzgoldfinch wrote:

Hi,

The reason that you are not seeing playback preferences is because the image posted was for iTunes for Windows. iTunes for Mac does not have this feature.

Jim,

That is correct. My screenshot was iTfW.

So since the option is not there in Mac versions, what does iTunes for Mac do with high-bitrate music?

Jun 6, 2016 1:02 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks Jim. Indeed you can change in Audio midi to a higher resolution, but at that point the audio file is already imported in iTunes and ... downconverted to 16-bit. I Would like to import in iTunes without loss, so I have all of my music in one system.

Frankly I don't understand why you can change these settings in Audio midi to a higher resolution while importing is limited to 16-bit. Or do I miss something?

Jun 6, 2016 4:03 AM in response to Marcleroy

Hi,

As far as I am aware that if you add 24/96 track to your library, it can be played back as 24/96.

Mp3s, AAC, ALAC etc ripped from CDs will be at best 16/44. I have some 24/96 FLAC track which I converted to 24/96 ALAC using XLD and imported into iTunes. I also converted 24/96 AIFF files to ALAC using iTunes convert option - tracks were not downsampled.

My main issue is that when I use AirPlay and airport express, the music is down sampled because of AEs limitations.

As mentioned is previous post is that I am relatively new to using HD downloads.

Jim

Jun 6, 2016 7:02 AM in response to Jimzgoldfinch

Thanks Jim, that is correct. I just bought some audio files from HDTracks and they play unconverted.

As for cd's, which are in 24-bit (or 20-bit), I found out that this is a trick question: cd's are always in 16-bit, no matter what the resolution of the recording was...

So, my problem is in fact a fake problem, besides the high resolution files from another source (like HDTracks for example).

Thanks to everybody for helping me out. In the process I learned a lot.

Marc

Can iTunes import 24-bit audio files?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.