Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activation lock won't disable.

Previous owner removed iPhone from his iCloud account, I tried 3G and WiFi, but the phone won't activate: it still thinks it belongs to the previous owner. What gives? Do I really have to drive 100km to make him manually unlock the phone? This is getting pretty frustrating.

iPhone 5, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 4, 2016 12:58 PM

7 replies

Jun 4, 2016 1:08 PM in response to cupique

Did the previous owner wipe the phone, or did you? The device needs to be wiped by the previous owner before removing the device from iCloud, or Find My iPhone is not disabled correctly. If all they did was remove it from iCloud, then it probably didn't remove Find My iPhone, and they may have to activate it again with their credentials and then remove Find My iPhone from the device in person before you can activate it.

Jun 4, 2016 1:59 PM in response to cupique

If the previous owner removes the phone from Find My iPhone after it's in your hands, you need to put the device in Recovery Mode, reinstall iOS, and then you should be able to activate it.

I've had to do this with some iPads that were handed from one staff member to another - as long as I had the previous owner remove the device remotely first, then tried Recovery Mode, all was well 🙂

Instructions for Recovery Mode are here: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201263

~Lyssa

Activation lock won't disable.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.