Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail on MacBook keeps asking for password, when I enter it I get 'unable to verify password'. I KNOW it's correct and it's working on my iPhone and manual hotmail.

I haven't been able to connect to mail on my MacBook for a day now. I keep getting 'Mail Password Required' and when I click on continue and enter it, it says unable to verify password and/or account. I KNOW my password and account info is correct; nothing has changed and I'm still able to log in on my iPhone and manually via hotmail. I don't get what changed but I have tried troubleshooting and checking activity log and re-entering all my info, even exiting and restarting everything but nothing is working.

MacBook Pro (Retina, Mid 2012), OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 4, 2016 2:54 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 4, 2016 3:54 PM

Hi, is it POP or IMAP account?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, use Keychain First Aid under the Keychain Menu item, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

You may have multiple entries.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, enter the part after the @ sign in the search bar, hit enter

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, more than one entry in Keychain for each in/out entry, or a server end problem.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 4, 2016 3:54 PM in response to changespell

Hi, is it POP or IMAP account?

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, use Keychain First Aid under the Keychain Menu item, then either check the Password under that item, change it, or delete it and start over.

You may have multiple entries.

Open Keychain Access in Utilities, enter the part after the @ sign in the search bar, hit enter

The Password rejection can confuse people since it's a catch all meaning...

This Password, Username, Authentication method... is not recognized on this Port to this Server, more than one entry in Keychain for each in/out entry, or a server end problem.

If using a browser to login via WebMail works it's not Name or Password, but one of the other ones.

The receiving email ports are:

IMAP is port 143

IMAP-SSL is port 993

POP is port 110

POP-SSL is port 995

Outgoing ports are...

SMTP and SMTP-SSL is on ports 25, 587 and 465. Port 587 has to be SSL, and port 465 is enforced TLS-wrapped and is generally used by Outlook users.

Mail on MacBook keeps asking for password, when I enter it I get 'unable to verify password'. I KNOW it's correct and it's working on my iPhone and manual hotmail.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.