Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to find hidden folders using Finder

Really frustrated! I want Finder to show hidden files and folders. I've tried everything I could find in this forum and others to do so. This is what I have tried (repeatedly):

Suggestion #1:

Finder>Go hold the option key

If you need to show it permanently

Open your Finder>Go> Home folder then command J to see view options

User uploaded file

Then, relaunch Finder

Suggestions #2:

Show Hidden Files Mac OS X El Capitan:

1. Click “Finder” icon on your Mac dock.
  2. Open Terminal. Terminal is a utility that provides access to the OS X El Capitan operating system. It can be opened in one of two following ways:
  3. Select “Applications” on the left side, then on “Utilities“, and double-click on “Terminal“
  4. Open the OS X El Capitan Launchpad. Click the “Utilities” folder. Then, double click on “Terminal.”
  5. Enter the following text into the Terminal window, then press “Enter“: “defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES”
  6. Exit the Terminal program. This can be done by selecting “Quit Terminal” from the Terminal menu.
  7. Restart Finder. Your new setting will take effect after you relaunch finder. To do so, hold down the “Alt” key and right-click or two-fingered click on the Finder icon. Select “Relaunch.”

Neither of these work for me. :-( Am using Macbook Air and El Capitan Version 10.11.4

MacBook Air, OS X El Capitan (10.11)

Posted on Jun 5, 2016 4:48 AM

36 replies

Jun 5, 2016 5:14 AM in response to Community User

You could make an AppleScript application that you place in your Dock, or even the Finder toolbar, and each time that you click it, hidden files/folders appear or disappear. If you decide to remove from the Finder window toolbar, then press the command key and click/drag the icon off. The following was tested on OS X 10.11.5.

Launch your Script Editor (Launchpad : Other : Script Editor). Copy and paste the following (see below) AppleScript into the Script Editor. Click the compile button (hammer icon). Now run it (black triangle button) with an open Finder window on your home directory. You want to save the content twice:

1. Save the source code that you have just pasted as Text
    1. File Format: Text (this adds an applescript extension to your filename
    2. Save in Documents or your location choice for safe keeping.
    3. No check boxes selected
  2. Save as an Application (option + File menu : Save As…)
    1. File Format: Application
    2. Location: /Applications

Drag and drop from Applications to your Dock, or to the Finder window toolbar (short filename e.g. Nohide)

3. Checkbox: Hide Extension
    4. Quit Script Editor

AppleScript:

-- Attribution to, and submitted by Baltwo on Apple Support Community

try

do shell script "defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles"

on error

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles False"

end try

if (do shell script "defaults read com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles") is equal to "False" then

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles True"

else

do shell script "defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles False"

end if

do shell script "killall Finder"

Jun 8, 2016 12:01 AM in response to Community User

queenmab100 wrote:

I'm trying to show a folder which is in the following location:

/users/library/username/library/thunderbird

It would be: /Users/username/Library

The short path: ~/Library

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Also, it's: defaults write com.apple.finder AppleShowAllFiles TRUE

True and false are boolean values. The boolean data type is typically only a single bit in size. True would indicate a binary value of 1 and false would be a 0. A bit is a single binary number.

Jun 8, 2016 7:01 AM in response to dialabrain

Attached is a screen shot from Fnder that shows the folder "Profiles". That is the folder I am trying to find with the Finder. However, when I put the words "Name:Profiles" in the search window, it does not find the file. Screen shot also attached showing that.

Perhaps I misunderstand how the Mac organizes files. I am mainly a PC user and am continually mystified by the Mac. :-(

User uploaded file

PS Attaching second screen shot in next reply. After adding first image, "add image" button is now greyed out.

How to find hidden folders using Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.