Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's wrong with my iphone 6?? (water damage)

I'm new to the forums so sorry if this is in the wrong section or something. I have an iPhone 6 that I dropped in the toilet a week ago. It worked off and on, now it's been 2-3 days that it hasn't been working (long enough that I don't think it's magically going to start working again). If I plug it into my computer it'll make the sound like it's connected, but nothing shows on the screen. The last time I saw anything on the screen was briefly last night, the white apple logo came on once but then it faded quickly, with a purplish line on the screen. That's the only thing I've seen on the screen over the past 3 days, other than sometimes the screen would appear "on"/lit up but be a very dark bluish/black color. So I'm guessing maybe I'll need to get the LCD screen replaced, although something else I read said that I would need to get the battery replaced. Can I go to a local repair place and just be like "I don't know what's wrong with it but I need it fixed"? That seems a costly method to go through (what if they don't know what's wrong with it either?).
I've tried a couple things people suggested on the internet such as making sure the ribbon cables inside the cord are still connected.
The other weird thing is when all this started happening, I was trying to get the screen to come back on so I was holding down the home and power buttons and I eventually put it into DFU mode. I was able to get it out of DFU mode before, then started using my phone again, but now it's stuck in DFU mode. If I try to restore it in iTunes, it comes up with an error code (I don't remember the first code that happened, but the most recent time was 4005). I also downloaded two programs (fonepaw and phonerescue) and both of them get stuck if I use them to try to get it out of DFU mode.

I'll be eternally grateful for any help!

iPhone 6

Posted on Jun 5, 2016 6:18 PM

5 replies

Jun 5, 2016 6:25 PM in response to alsofrightened

While it's your money to try repairs, I would simply replace it. Once water gets inside it is extremely difficult to dry it out without damage. Short circuits occur immediately when energized open circuits get wet. And there is corrosion and continued damage even afterwards if you quickly power it off By powering it on while wet, you almost certainly did more damage than good.

Basically, IMO, it's fried. Time to buy a new phone and move on. If you have not opened it up or let anyone else do so, you could take it to Apple for an out of warranty replacement. That comes at a substantially cost savings over buying new.

Jun 5, 2016 6:25 PM in response to alsofrightened

Sorry, but the answer to your question "What's wrong with my iPhone" is: water damage. Electronics and water just don't mix. The damage is not software, but hardware.

All all you can do at this time is to check with Apple how much a r furnished replacement phone will cost you. If your AppleCare+ coverage is still active, it might not be all that much.

What's wrong with my iphone 6?? (water damage)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.