Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Geotag displayed in wrong language

Im currently living in Japan and I switch my iPhone's language back and forth between English in Japanese for language practice. I noticed a few bugs related to that.

First one my iphone permanently geotagged all my pictures in Japanese, even pictures previously geotagged in English and that were took years before I started to switch language. My iPhone is currently in English, if I take a picture now it geotags it in English even Japanese areas with Japanese names, the geotag is in Roman letters. However all my pictures from before 3 days ago are in Japanese letters.

Second, some commands remain in Japanese even before switching back to English (like "slide to open" on app notifications on the home screen when iPhone is locked). I've contacted apple support with no success. Please if you know a way to make the geotag match the current language of my phone (or just leave everything in English) please let me know as I would prefer my pics to be geotagged in English. Thank you.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 5, 2016 8:46 PM

5 replies

Jun 5, 2016 8:53 PM in response to cassiofm

In my experience, metadata is retained in the language (and based on region) that was in effect when I took the picture. That doesn't mean it should be, so ,et Apple know via this link: http://www.apple.com/feedback/

To completely and successfully switch languages and regions, I found it necessary to reset the iDevice.

Reset: hold down the Home and Power buttons until you see the Apple logo (10-20 seconds).

Geotag displayed in wrong language

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.