Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Apple TV with Directv

If I have only one TV connected to a Directv DVR receiver and an Apple TV, can I use the Live TV option on Apps on TV's in my home which are connected to Apple TV's?

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jun 6, 2016 10:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2016 12:19 PM

A DVR will not affect how the Apple TV works, I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, can you elaborate.

4 replies

Jun 6, 2016 11:58 AM in response to Terry of Southport

Apple TV apps stream programs from the internet. They have nothing to do with your DVR receiver. So it doesn't matter which TV an ATV is connected to. There might be some limit on the number of devices or logins, but you'd need to check DirecTV for that. I don't know what the "Live TV" option is. If it's related to data coming from the STB, that might be more difficult.

Jun 6, 2016 12:14 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I agree; I'm not presenting the question well enough.

Presently I have 3 TV's; one is connected to a DirecTV DVR as well as an Apple TV device; the other 2 are connected to DirecTV regular boxes as well as Apple TV devices (3 Apple TV devices in all). Everything in my home is connected wirelessly to the internet using an Arris cable modem and an Apple Airport Extreme.

When I use one of the Apple TV apps for some of the TV networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc), and I want to watch Live TV, the app first asks me for the name of my provider (DirecTV) and then instructs me to log into my DirecTV account. When I provide this information, I'm able to watch live TV using Apple TV. Only some apps require a service provider; others are either free or charge a fee.

Now what I want to do is to keep the DirecTV DVR connected to one TV but eliminate the other 2 DirecTV boxes. My question is: Will I be able to use the Live TV option when watching the TV's with no boxes and only Apple TV?

Using Apple TV with Directv

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.