Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My photos show wrong location

Hi

Some of my pictures that were taken using my iPhone 6S are tagged with a bizarre location.

I use a photo app called "Camera360" to take photos and all my photos taken on one specific date (May 31st, 2016) show Kyzylorda as the location..

I googled the place and it turns out that it is a name of a place in Kazakhstan.

I live in Canada and I have never been to Kazakhstan and when I click on the location name on photos, the map pin points to a place in the middle of nowhere....

I have used the same app to take pictures in the past and I still use it and have never had the same problem and my phone never had any gps errors either.

Can anyone tell me why this would happen? Is it possible that my phone was hacked ?? (I don't know much about computers and machines so it's kind of freaking me out....)

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 9.2.1, null

Posted on Jun 6, 2016 2:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2016 10:04 AM

Hi, apple0216!

I understand having the correct geotags for your pictures is important. There could be a few things going on that could cause this to happen, and I am happy to share some general troubleshooting to help.

The steps in the article linked below are great for apps you've installed from the App Store, even though the title of the article isn't the exact issue you're experiencing. It will take you through the basics, including restarting the app and your iPhone, all the way up to contacting the developer of the app you're having trouble with.

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open
https://support.apple.com/HT201398

Before reaching out to the developer, I would also suggest checking out your Location Services settings for that app specifically. You can access your Location Services under Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Make sure they are turned on for the Camera360 app.

If you don't see the Camera360 app in that list, you can also reset your Location Services to allow the app permission to use your location. This will reset all apps permission to use your location, and the next time you open apps that use your location you'll be asked if you'd like to allow them to access it. Just select the "Allow" option for all the apps you'd like to use your location.

More information about Location Services can be found in the following article, including turning them on and off under the "Turn Location Services on or off" section, and resetting your services under the "Reset or disable Location Services" section.

About privacy and Location Services
https://support.apple.com/HT203033

Have a great rest of your day!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2016 10:04 AM in response to apple0216

Hi, apple0216!

I understand having the correct geotags for your pictures is important. There could be a few things going on that could cause this to happen, and I am happy to share some general troubleshooting to help.

The steps in the article linked below are great for apps you've installed from the App Store, even though the title of the article isn't the exact issue you're experiencing. It will take you through the basics, including restarting the app and your iPhone, all the way up to contacting the developer of the app you're having trouble with.

If an app you installed unexpectedly quits, stops responding, or won’t open
https://support.apple.com/HT201398

Before reaching out to the developer, I would also suggest checking out your Location Services settings for that app specifically. You can access your Location Services under Settings > Privacy > Location Services. Make sure they are turned on for the Camera360 app.

If you don't see the Camera360 app in that list, you can also reset your Location Services to allow the app permission to use your location. This will reset all apps permission to use your location, and the next time you open apps that use your location you'll be asked if you'd like to allow them to access it. Just select the "Allow" option for all the apps you'd like to use your location.

More information about Location Services can be found in the following article, including turning them on and off under the "Turn Location Services on or off" section, and resetting your services under the "Reset or disable Location Services" section.

About privacy and Location Services
https://support.apple.com/HT203033

Have a great rest of your day!

Oct 6, 2016 10:45 AM in response to chuck_3rd

This has happened to me using the native iphone camera. It is not an issue that can be blamed on third party app developers or location services being turned off (which would result in no location, not a location in Kazakhstan). It must be some kind of error in writing the geotag as it's saved to the image.

Is there a way to edit the location metadata in photos?

Also, I love the new iPhoto update but the "Memories" albums it keeps creating from photos I've taken around my home neighborhood of Brooklyn, NY are showing up as "Long Island" which is like saying Cupertino is in San Francisco, only with a worse connotation.

Any ideas of how to address these location issues would be greatly appreciated!

Nov 14, 2016 1:38 PM in response to Madd247

Actually this is a Camera360 problem.

The problem is that the Camera360 iPhone app provides wrong GPS coordinates in its captured photos. For example, I am located in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, where my GPS coordinates are (confirmed by iOS photo app):

Latitude: 45.49 N

Longitude: 73.68 W

The Camera360 iPhone app provides the following WRONG GPS coordinates in all photos taken around my hometown area:

Latitude: 45.49 N

Longitude: 73.68 E

So instead of WEST, the Camera360 iPhone app recorded EAST, which is wrong.

I dont' know how to get them to fix this issue as there is no in-app support. In-app feedback and FAQ s**k, unfortunately.

My photos show wrong location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.