Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone data usage System Services Time and Location

Ever since last month, the data use under System Services -> Time and Location has increased "dramatically". It's pretty consistently half of my data use, whatever I do. I haven't added any new apps or use the phone differently than I have in previous months.

I use one tracking app, Human, but even if I turn mobile data off for it, data use under Time and Location continues to be half of my mobile data.

How do I start trouble shooting? I've read threads here and deactivated mobile data and background updating and syncing for most things. This has decreased data use, of course, but time and location still continues to be half of my data.

I'm on a 1GB plan, which used to be plenty, now I get close to maxxing it out when I'm not careful.

iPhone 6s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 7, 2016 1:45 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2016 7:10 AM

Hi branches,

I'm glad you were able to find the culprit behind your location and data activity! You're on the right track by reaching out to the app developer for assistance with that app. Be sure to check out the Apple Support Communities in the future if you ever need any assistance.

Cheers!

10 replies

Sep 13, 2017 1:42 PM in response to stuckboss

Hi

I'm new to the iPhone (wife and I changed to the iPhone 5SE at the weekend) and already alarmed at the data eaten compared to what Android uses: it's a huge amount more. I've axed everything from mobile data (including turning off wifi assist and background app refresh for everything as well as disabling mobile data use for everything we don't need) except email and got most of the data haemorrhage under control but for some reason, although my iPhone has no entry for Time & Location services and therefore system data usage has slowed right down, my wife's iPhone, which is identical but has fewer apps than mine, does have Time & Location services in the system data usage list and it keeps using significant data. I have turned off all Location services etc - even more than on my phone - but still this service exists and is using data whereas it doesn't on mine. I set up both phones so know what I have and haven't done on each.

Both have the same software version of 10.3.3 so no reason for the difference there.

Any ideas why one phone has it and another identical one (bar colour) bought at the same time in the same shop doesn't? My wife's data plan is half the size of mine so she doesn't have any capacity for this and her being 20% through the month's allowance after 4 days is a problem...

Any help / ideas here would be gratefully received: I'm no fan of Android (for the last 10+ years I've been using BlackBerry OS for personal phones) but at least you don't need a second mortgage to pay the data bill if you leave all of Android's settings at defaults.

P.S. Just exactly what does the iPhone use all this data for by the way?!

Oct 5, 2017 8:26 AM in response to RichGoodchild

Thanks for such a useful thread. Now that Apple's "System Services" is the bulk of all our LTE usage, it would REALLY help for Apple to break down such usage by app for us, so we don't have to spend weeks of trial an error to figure out who's using up our entire month's data plan. 🙂

It's gotten to the point where the individual Apps LTE reports don't even matter, because it's nothing compared to System Services - and of course, by the name, we just assumed this was Apple's fault - that it meant iOS was using up all the data, when in fact it was an App based issue.

Apple - please consider this.

------

Jeff, I read every one of these emails, and we'll make sure to get it into the next version of iOS!

- Tim Cook

------

Wow! I'm impressed! That was fast - Apple really does care.

Dec 19, 2017 11:40 AM in response to jdiamond

That's great! I have been working a new job since May, and I have been blowing through data since I started. I have virtually no service in the office, so I am always on WiFi while there. when I get home in the evening after an hour commute I am right back on WiFi at home. Also I have a work issued phone that I use for maps and data, so I rarely use cellular data on my personal phone. Here is the good part: I am blowing through 6GB a month, and I don't stream videos, or music while not on WiFi. This morning I reset my data put my phone in my pocket. Once I arrived at work I had gone through 47.7 Mb. Before starting to turn off location services it went up to 47.9 while I was on wireless! SInce I turned off a bunch of things I have used 0 data.

Jun 8, 2016 10:29 AM in response to branches

Hi branches,

Thanks for checking out the Apple Support Communities and for the detailed information of what's happening with your Time and Location data. I can understand wanting to make sure you're able to easily manage your data usage and wanting to know what app is causing that additional usage.

Since you've already completed those steps, I recommend to turn off the Location Services for all of your apps, then turning them back on one or two at a time, as needed, to help determine which apps might be using your location. You can disable Location for both apps and system services with these steps.

Turn Location Services on or off. Go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services. You can turn it off for some or for all apps and services. If you turn off Location Services, you’re asked to turn it on again the next time an app or service tries to use it.

Turn Location Services off for system services. Several system services, such as compass calibration and location-based ads, use Location Services. To see their status, turn them on or off, or show the Location Services icon in the status bar when these services use your location, go to Settings > Privacy > Location Services > System Services.

You can find the steps listed above in the iPhone user guide.

Privacy - iPhone

You can also find additional information about your Privacy and Location settings in this article.

About privacy and Location Services - Apple Support

Cheers!

Jun 10, 2016 1:12 AM in response to stuckboss

Thanks for taking the time for such a detailed reply.

I turned everything off and am slowly turning things on again. Yesterday I thought Motion Calibration was the culprit. It was one of the two things still turned on when I initially checked under Location Services (so I must have been there before) and with it turned off, hardly any data registered under Time & Location. However this morning, 20mb were used under Time & Location without me actively using the phone at all so I'll have to go back to testing.

iPhone data usage System Services Time and Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.