Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

OLE-object will not display when opening an .ODT file.

I often receive files from a source who uses an open office program. I am able to open the .ODT file but the embedded OLE-Object only appears as text. The object is a logo so I am not all that concerned however, i am wondering if there is a way to convert the file so that the OLE-Object will appear for printing purposes. I downloaded an App called "Document Converter" from the App Store and am able to open the .odt file in MS Word for Mac but the OLE-Object still does not appear. Any ideas for a work around here? As always thank you in advance for your help.😕

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on Jun 7, 2016 2:25 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2016 3:12 AM

.odt is an 'Open Document formaT' file. Word 2010 for Windows supports this format but in their infinite stupidity do not support this in Word for Mac even Word in Office 2016 for Mac does not support this format. OLE stands for Object Linking and Embedding and was a way of embedding one document inside another and I believe was originally devised by Microsoft. A typical example of where it will not work on a Mac is when a Visio or Project document is embedded inside a Word document as even though obviously a Mac can read Microsoft Word files it cannot read Microsoft Visio or Project files. In theory an embedded Excel, Word, or standard graphics file e.g. jpg, png, etc. should be displayed on a Mac.

I am not aware of a means of determining what the embedded object might be.

You could try various other programs that support this format e.g. Google Docs and OpenOffice and see if they do any better job at converting it.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2016 3:12 AM in response to imabuku99

.odt is an 'Open Document formaT' file. Word 2010 for Windows supports this format but in their infinite stupidity do not support this in Word for Mac even Word in Office 2016 for Mac does not support this format. OLE stands for Object Linking and Embedding and was a way of embedding one document inside another and I believe was originally devised by Microsoft. A typical example of where it will not work on a Mac is when a Visio or Project document is embedded inside a Word document as even though obviously a Mac can read Microsoft Word files it cannot read Microsoft Visio or Project files. In theory an embedded Excel, Word, or standard graphics file e.g. jpg, png, etc. should be displayed on a Mac.

I am not aware of a means of determining what the embedded object might be.

You could try various other programs that support this format e.g. Google Docs and OpenOffice and see if they do any better job at converting it.

OLE-object will not display when opening an .ODT file.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.