Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does installing an upgraded SSD void applecare?

I have an early 2015 13" MacBook Pro Retina, and I am thinking about buying 3rd party SSD to upgrade storage. I was wondering if this would void my AppleCare Warranty?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X El Capitan (10.11.4)

Posted on Jun 7, 2016 1:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2017 7:54 AM

According to two senior AppleCare advisors I spoke with today, it is possible to upgrade your SSD storage without voiding AppleCare, although it is a little complicated.

First of all, if you choose to install a 3rd party SSD, you do so at your own risk, even if you choose an Apple Authorised Service Provider to perform the installation.

Once the 3rd party drive is installed, this drive is not covered by AppleCare, but all other MacBook Pro components are covered. However, should anything go wrong after installation, in order to keep your AppleCare valid you must keep the original SSD. This original SSD must be installed in the MacBook Pro, when it is returned to Apple or an Authorised Service Provider. During re-installation of the original SSD drive, the same risk applies regarding AppleCare not covering damage to other MacBook Pro components, or the drives themselves.

To summarise:

• An MBP with the OEM SSD installed inside it is covered by AppleCare (if active).
  • If the OEM SSD is switched for an aftermarket SSD the neither the MBP or aftermarket SSD are covered in that state, whilst the aftermarket SSD is installed.
  • However, if there is a problem with the MBP when the aftermarket SSD is installed, the OEM SSD can be swapped in, and AppleCare is then applicable again, even if the problem occurred before the swap was made.
  • Finally, if damage is caused during installation of either OEM, or aftermarket SSD drive, then the warranty does not cover such damage.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 29, 2017 7:54 AM in response to jwbradle

According to two senior AppleCare advisors I spoke with today, it is possible to upgrade your SSD storage without voiding AppleCare, although it is a little complicated.

First of all, if you choose to install a 3rd party SSD, you do so at your own risk, even if you choose an Apple Authorised Service Provider to perform the installation.

Once the 3rd party drive is installed, this drive is not covered by AppleCare, but all other MacBook Pro components are covered. However, should anything go wrong after installation, in order to keep your AppleCare valid you must keep the original SSD. This original SSD must be installed in the MacBook Pro, when it is returned to Apple or an Authorised Service Provider. During re-installation of the original SSD drive, the same risk applies regarding AppleCare not covering damage to other MacBook Pro components, or the drives themselves.

To summarise:

• An MBP with the OEM SSD installed inside it is covered by AppleCare (if active).
  • If the OEM SSD is switched for an aftermarket SSD the neither the MBP or aftermarket SSD are covered in that state, whilst the aftermarket SSD is installed.
  • However, if there is a problem with the MBP when the aftermarket SSD is installed, the OEM SSD can be swapped in, and AppleCare is then applicable again, even if the problem occurred before the swap was made.
  • Finally, if damage is caused during installation of either OEM, or aftermarket SSD drive, then the warranty does not cover such damage.

Jun 7, 2016 1:33 PM in response to jwbradle

jwbradle wrote:

I have an early 2015 13" MacBook Pro Retina, and I am thinking about buying 3rd party SSD to upgrade storage. I was wondering if this would void my AppleCare Warranty?

Yes.

Standard one year apple warranty is one year. Apple care is 3 yrs total.

check warranty https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do

Does installing an upgraded SSD void applecare?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.