Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Apple have applications similar to Photoshop?

OS X El Capitan

Version 10.11.5

Mac Mini (late 2014)

Processor 1.4 GHz Intel Core i5

Memory 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR3

Storage Macintosh HD 470.77 free of 499.25 GB

My Passport for Mac 960.56 GB free of 999.83 GB

I purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements 14. Afterwards, I was told not to use it

because Apple and Adobe had some kind of falling out and that Apple has apps

that essentially perform just as well.

Thanks for your help.

Mac mini

Posted on Jun 7, 2016 12:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2016 12:17 PM

Told by whom? Because that is stretching it a bit.

Anyway: Apple only has the Photos app now. Depending on your needs, that may or may not meet you requirements.

11 replies

Jun 8, 2016 12:18 PM in response to sandrafromeustis

sandrafromeustis wrote:

I purchased Adobe Photoshop Elements 14. Afterwards, I was told not to use it

because Apple and Adobe had some kind of falling out

Apple and Adobe could never come to terms on a mobile version of Flash for iOS devices. As Adobe eventually abandoned Flash for mobile devices entirely, it seems as if Apple made the right bet. However, that has nothing to with Elements or with what software you decide to put on your Mac.

Do you like Elements? Then use it if it suits you.

Jun 9, 2016 3:16 AM in response to sandrafromeustis

The nearest app that Apple themselves provide is Photos, this is free with all new Macs and was introduced with Yosemite. Apple used to do another app called Aperture but this has now been discontinued. However Aperture and perhaps also Photos might be considered more equivalent to Adobe Lightroom than Photoshop Elements.

In as much as Adobe and Apple may have in the past had a falling out this was probably more to do with competition between Apple's Final Cut Pro software and Adobe's Premier software. I am not aware of any current conflict between Apple and Adobe.

I would therefore say you can happily use PhotoShop Elements.

Jun 9, 2016 6:55 AM in response to sandrafromeustis

Technically, Photoshop is a photo editing software, as opposed to Apple's prior offereings, Aperture (discontinued), iPhoto (discontinued), and Photos (current) were /are better described as Photo Managing software with a dab of editing capabilities.

Although the Apple software offered editing capabilities, they were not as robust as those offered by stand alone photo editiing software.

Examples of stand alone Photo editing software:

Adobe Photoshop

Adobe Photoshop Elements

Pixelmator

Acorn

Corel Aftershot Pro

Gimp

GraphicConverter

Examples of Photo Managing software:

Adobe Lightroom

iPhoto

Aperture

Photos

Image One Pro

Media Pro (Image One Pro minus editing features.)

Jun 10, 2016 7:27 AM in response to sandrafromeustis

apple has NOTHING similar to photoshop, the closest they had to photoshop was MacPaint and good luck running that. There is some confusion about Photoshop being similar to Photos but aside from the name being close the purpose of these two apps is entirely different. Photos is closer to Adobe Lightroom.

Adobe makes the subscription based Creative Cloud suite and it integrates very well with Mac OS X, and at this time it's the only product they sell or support.

User uploaded file

If you are looking for an alternative to Adobe try Affinity

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/

Jun 10, 2016 7:30 AM in response to sandrafromeustis

Don't overlook Affinity Designer, and Affinity Photo applications in the OS X App Store. The vendor has free trials of each on their website. These are Apple Award winning applications that are also able to use some Adobe Photoshop plug-ins. They can export in Photoshop, SVG, and other formats. Sometime next year (2017), the third planned application will be added as Affinity Publisher which will address Desktop Publishing. All three applications use the same internal document format, and the current document can be opened in the others via the File menu.

Does Apple have applications similar to Photoshop?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.