Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes 12, playlist unable to sort by Album by Artist/Year

Recently, after bringing back my MacBook from repair, I realise that in iTunes 12, I am not able to sort my playlist like before.

Before then, in the playlist section I was able to sort my playlist by Year, or anything I want, like Album by Artist/Year. Now there is no option like this. Any help please?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Jun 8, 2016 7:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 22, 2017 11:47 AM

I was just struggling with the same issue. Instead of View > Sort By, go to View > View As > Songs.

This displays the playlist in the Songs format which allows all the old types of sorting. From there, you should be able to sort by "Album by Artist/Year" by repeatedly clicking on the title of the "Album" column.

Hope this helps!

User uploaded file

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 22, 2017 11:47 AM in response to Ineptify

I was just struggling with the same issue. Instead of View > Sort By, go to View > View As > Songs.

This displays the playlist in the Songs format which allows all the old types of sorting. From there, you should be able to sort by "Album by Artist/Year" by repeatedly clicking on the title of the "Album" column.

Hope this helps!

User uploaded file

Aug 3, 2016 4:02 PM in response to AaronTheMan

At least in the screenshot you posted, your playlist is sorted by Artist (which happens to also sort your albums alphabetically within the artists).

If you click on the header of the Album column, the playlist will sort alphabetically by album title (but not by Artist).

Clicking the Album column header again will change the name of the column to Album by Artist. This sorts the albums first alphabetically by artist, then alphabetically by album name.

Clicking that same column header a third time will change the name of the column to Album by Artist/Year. This sorts the albums alphabetically by artist, then sorts the albums within each artist chronologically instead of alphabetically. I think this is what you want. This option is not within a menu, but is accessed by repeatedly clicking the Album column header. Hope this helps!

iTunes 12, playlist unable to sort by Album by Artist/Year

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.