Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bad RAM causing Kernel Panic?

Hello,

I'm having a major problem with my MacBook Pro (Mid 2012), and want to ask you, if I'm right or wrong in my conclusion.

In 2012 I bought my MacBook in connection with my education. About 6 month after I've bought it, I got my first Kernel Panic and ever since it's just gotten even worse. Now it can happen about 20-30 times each day.

The panic can happen any time, but I have discovered that it mostly happens when I make heavy stuff, like rendering videos, using Photoshop and managing a lot of stuff at the same time.

This is what I've tried to fix the problem:

• Remove and reinstall apps the Kernel Panic report told was the reason for the panic
  • Always made sure that all the apps and the system was up-to-date
  • Clean up all my documents and files
  • Followed a lot of different tutorials

..but nothing have worked.

I've also tried to boot in safe-mode and logged in as another user, but the panic still occurs.

Then, a few days ago, I read about something called Apple Hardware Test. So far I'd assumed that the problem were software related, so I did the test by pressing "D" on startup. But also here a problem occurred. A few seconds after I pressed the "Test button" the computer froze while testing the memory. I tried it three more times, with the same result. I then tried to remove one of two the RAM blocks and did the test again. This time the test was completed, saying that it had found an error:

Waring! Apple Hardware Test have found an error.

4MEM/61/40000000: 0x8095bb90

Control number: 1,

Total test time: 2 minutes 37 seconds

I then tried to switch the RAM blocks and here no errors where found. The only thing I noticed were that the test never said that it was "complete" and the mouse and keyboard were very laggy, taking about 1-2 seconds to respond, but I don't know if thats normal or not.

From the result of the test, I have a very strong feeling that it is a bad RAM that is causing the problem, I've been struggling with all the time.

I don't know exactly what the error code above means or if my feeling is right, so I want to ask you, what you think? Is it one of the RAM or maybe both of them? If it isn't, what could it else be?

..or if it is, where would you then recommend me to buy some new? Where I'm from (Denmark) a single DDR3 8GB 1600Mhz Kingston SODIMM cost between $77 to $125 both online and in an actual store, which I find a bit too expensive. I have considered to buy it on ebay, but I don't know if thats something to recommend?

So to catch up:
Am I right, when I believe the RAM to be the cause of the problem, and if so, where should I buy new RAM at a good price?

Thanks a lot in advance for helping me 🙂

- Jesper

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.4), Mid 2012

Posted on Jun 9, 2016 2:51 AM

5 replies

Jun 9, 2016 3:19 AM in response to TheYaXxE

The error code that you posted is indicative of a RAM issue. Take out both modules and clean the contacts. Insert one module in one slot and boot the MBP. If successful, insert the RAM module in the other slot and boot the MBP. Repeat the process with the other module. You are testing if there is a faulty RAM module or a faulty slot.

Also download REMBER from the Kelleycomputing web site:

http://www.kelleycomputing.net/rember/

Run it overnight so that sufficient loops are executed.

Use these directions to log and post the last kernel Panic:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201753

The best sources of Mac compatible RAM are OWC and Crucial. Kingston RAM has not received good reviews on these forums.

Ciao.

Bad RAM causing Kernel Panic?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.