Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro for photo editing???

I am buying a new macbook pro which I will be used for my photography business only. I will be doing editing (mostly in lightroom). I just ordered the 13 inch with 2.7 i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB Storage. I was told that this will probably not be sufficient.

A friend recommended to buy one which will cost about 3 grand, but I just don't have that money right now. Will the 15 inch apple ci7 2.2 GHz , 16 GB DDR3L , 256 GB storage work for this purpose? HELP!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, iOS 5

Posted on Jun 9, 2016 12:48 PM

10 replies

Jun 9, 2016 2:06 PM in response to lyd17

I just ordered the 13 inch with 2.7 i5 processor, 8 GB RAM, 128 GB Storage. I was told that this will probably not be sufficient.

This will work fine, You may want to consider an external drive for backups and to store your files.

Something like a 1tb. or larger USB 3.0 backup drive. They only cost about $60 ( Seagate or WD ).

Or even a USB 3.0 flash drive 128gb. They are really inexpensive today. ( $25 )

OS-X only uses about 15gb. of storage space for the Operating System. So you will have about 115gb. left over for apps and files on your 128gb. SSD drive.

I have had my mac mini with a 128gb SSD loaded with many apps and files and still it only took up about 60gb. of disk space.

Ideally if you have the money to burn get 256gb SSD better or 512gb. SSD best for local storage. and as much memory as possible.

Jun 9, 2016 7:31 PM in response to lyd17

I don't think any laptop screen is ideally suited to photo editing. You need a decent-sized monitor, and preferably a calibration device as well. Having a nice monitor would allow you to go for the 13" laptop and save a bit. I think the suggestions from Alex-37751 are excellent. The configuration you ordered is just not adequate, either in terms of RAM or storage space.

Macbook Pro for photo editing???

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.