Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problems with attaching signatures to emails

I have just upgraded to El capitan. Now I can't attach a signature because the Choose signature box is greyed out; says there are no signatures to choose from. I have reinstalled the two signatures I want to use but no luck so far. Any suggestions?

iMac, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 9, 2016 6:10 PM

7 replies

Jun 9, 2016 7:16 PM in response to dianefromfrankston south

Hi Ferd,

Thanks for the prompt reply. I have done all of those things. The problem is that the "Choose signature" box contains the word "None", greyed out, and I don't seem to be able to bring up a signature to choose. There are two signatures in the centre box, both linked to "All signatures". Still flummoxed.

Jun 9, 2016 7:28 PM in response to Ferd II

1. Choose Mail > Preferences, then click Signatures.
  2. In the left column, select the email account you want to use the signature for, then click User uploaded file.You can drag signatures from one account to another, or to and from All Signatures. If you create a signature in All Signatures, you must drag it to an account to use it.
  3. In the middle column, type a name for the signature.The name appears in the Signature pop-up menu in the message header when you write a message.
  4. In the right column (the preview), create your signature.You can use the Edit or Format menus in Mail to change the font or layout, turn text into links, or check spelling. To add an image, drag the file into the preview.

Jun 9, 2016 7:32 PM in response to appreciate

Well, that was a gain, in that I now have the signature I want in the "Choose signature" box. Thank you! But when I try to sign an email, I get Directed to "Edit signatures", which brings me back to the Signatures dialogue box, but does not allocate a signature to the email. Clearly I am missing another step. Greatly appreciate you advising a complete idiot.

Problems with attaching signatures to emails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.