Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPod touch 6th gen won't sync to iTunes

I got the iPod touch 6th gen in Aug of 2015 and had no problems through March 2016 syncing it to iTunes via USB cable to add new music to it. Recently, I've been plugging in my iPod to my laptop (Windows 10) via USB and iTunes hasn't been registering that my iPod is connected. It doesn't have any option to view what's on my iPod or to sync. But my iPod will charge on my laptop and I can use one of the photo programs on my laptop to view my iPod's photos and transfer them to my laptop. Thinking it was the USB cable, I tried a different USB cable and that didn't work. I also reinstalled iTunes, but that didn't work either. I've also restarted my iPod, which didn't work. I can't even turn iTunes WiFi Sync because I'd need to connect to iTunes on my laptop first using a cable to turn it on there. Any suggestions as to why iTunes won't recognize my iPod and how to fix it? Thanks!

iPod touch, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 11, 2016 6:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2016 6:31 PM

One or a combo may help

Try to force your iPod to restart. Hold down the sleep and home keys for about 20 seconds. When you see the silver Apple, let go and let it reboot then try again.

Try a different USB port.

Update iTunes. If you've updated your iPod over the air then try to sync hte drivers may not be up to date.

If that doesn't work, go into the control panel, add/remove programs

Uninstall Apple mobile device service, apple application support and iTunes

For good measure restart your computer

then redownload and reinstall itunes (You won't lose content)

When you plug your iPod back in the drivers should self install. Sometimes in windows computers the drivers don't update but iTunes thinks they have, deleting the drivers forces fresh ones to install)

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2016 6:31 PM in response to ase1611

One or a combo may help

Try to force your iPod to restart. Hold down the sleep and home keys for about 20 seconds. When you see the silver Apple, let go and let it reboot then try again.

Try a different USB port.

Update iTunes. If you've updated your iPod over the air then try to sync hte drivers may not be up to date.

If that doesn't work, go into the control panel, add/remove programs

Uninstall Apple mobile device service, apple application support and iTunes

For good measure restart your computer

then redownload and reinstall itunes (You won't lose content)

When you plug your iPod back in the drivers should self install. Sometimes in windows computers the drivers don't update but iTunes thinks they have, deleting the drivers forces fresh ones to install)

Jun 11, 2016 6:34 PM in response to ase1611

If your iOS device isn't showing in iTunes try the following:

1. Open Control Panel > Device Manager
  2. Plug in your device
  3. Locate Universal Serial Bus Controllers > Apple Mobile Device USB Driver.
    It is also possible the device may show under Imaging Devices, Portable Devices or Other Devices or as an MTB USB Device.
  4. Right-click and select Update Driver Software...
  5. Click Browse my computer for driver software
  6. Browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers or
    C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers
  7. Click Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer
  8. Click Apple Mobile Device USB Driver
  9. Click Next, then Close and exit Device Manager

For step 3 above, open the device manager. Expand any of these sections that are listed.

• Universal Serial Bus Controllers
  • Imaging Devices
  • Portable Devices
  • Other Devices

Connect the device. You should hear the telltale sound of Windows device connection and one section should gain a new entry. That should be your device. It may not be labelled correctly at this stage. If you don't hear a noise suspect a damaged cable.

Or try If iTunes doesn't recognize your iPhone, iPad, or iPod - Apple Support which is Apple's version of the advice above.

Failing that try a full tear down and rebuild of iTunes as set out in Troubleshooting issues with iTunes for Windows updates. 64-bit users could also try the alternate Download iTunes for Windows (64-bit - for older video cards) build which is sometimes a useful workaround.

Or lastly try rolling back to the last build of iTunes that worked for you. See iTunes installers for download links. If you're rolling back from 12.4.0.119 to 12.3.3.17 or 12.3.2.35, for example, then you'll also need to roll back the library database in the manner described in Empty/corrupt iTunes library after upgrade/crash. The tip includes suggestions for reintroducing any recent purchases so at worst you lose a few playcounts and/or a recently created playlist.

tt2

iPod touch 6th gen won't sync to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.