Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac Pro 2010 PCIe SSD upgrade

What would be the best Adapter and blade SSD (256GB) combination for a mid 2010 Mac Pro ? I am a tech noob so I would like something plug'n play...I heard that there are some issues with the TRIMM and that there are a lot of adapters and blades like samsung 950/951 etc...and some are not compatible with the other and so on...what would be the best "pair" to buy for my Mac Pro 2010, for best performance....?

Posted on Jun 11, 2016 5:22 PM

4 replies

Jun 13, 2016 2:24 AM in response to BenAvi

As per the other replies it is possible to get a standard SSD e.g. a Samsung 950 and fit it via a PCIe adapter. It can be formatted and used as a bootable drive for OS X and these days Apple do allow turning on TRIM support for third-party SSD drives like this Samsung. One important issue though is that the Mac does not support booting from a NVMe type SSD and only supports booting from a AHCI type SSD. You need to pay attention to this as Samsung make both types.

This article shows how to enable TRIM for third-party drives in Yosemite and later - http://www.howtogeek.com/222077/how-to-enable-trim-for-third-party-ssds-on-mac-o s-x/

If you want the simplest most compatible option, then you can get a second-hand genuine Apple SSD as would have been fitted to a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 model and fit this via a PCIe adapter. Being that this is a genuine Apple SSD drive it will of course support Apple's TRIM as standard. This particular SSD is a custom Samsung SSUBX and has a proprietary Apple connector so you need a different PCIe adapter to a standard Samsung SSD which uses a standard M2 connector.

The Apple SSUBX 1TB model from a MacBook Pro Retina 2015 is as fast as you can go with a single SSD drive. The latest Samsung own brand models should be a similar speed.

This should be an example of a suitable PCIe adapter for a genuine Apple SSD - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Adapter-Card-to-PCI-E-X4-for-apple-2013-2014-2015-MacB ook-Air-A1465-A1466-SSD-WT-/152097155927…

Mac Pro 2010 PCIe SSD upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.