Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

If I purchased an iPhone through boost mobile can I use it for another carrier later?

I'm thinking about going with Boost mobile for a carrier. If I were to buy an iPhone though Boost mobile and later I decide to switch carriers can I switch with that iPhone?

iPhone 5s, iOS 9.3.2

Posted on Jun 11, 2016 8:03 PM

8 replies

Mar 16, 2017 3:11 PM in response to SuperflySister

User uploaded file

It all depends on the model number. Luckily my iPhone 6 S Plus, I bought at T-mobile and I had unlocked after paying it off, I brought over to Boost Mobike because of the model number my iPhone is. So I recommend, if your financially able, go to T-mobile and out right by the iPhone. The picture is a list of specific iPhones with model number that you can bring to Boost Mobile. I hope this list helps you.

Jan 8, 2017 2:34 AM in response to Macology

Who do I call to get the lock taken off after I've met all requirements to have the lock removed. Boost or sprint? Because boost went ahead and cut my service to my phone verified I met the requirements then my new sim still shows a lock.

And the only difference between me n my husband's phones upon stitching from boost was I bought my phone from boost he bought his straight from apple.

I do no want to trade in my phone for a fraction of its worth and have to buy a whole new phone when I own this one out right.

Jun 11, 2016 8:26 PM in response to SuperflySister

Hello SuperflySister,

Boost Mobile is a subsidiary of Sprint, and like Sprint, the Boost Mobile network is CDMA. Currently national carriers here in the United States operate their devices on GSM networks as well as CDMA networks. For consumers, the key difference between CDMA and GSM is that GSM phones keep user data on SIM cards whereas CDMA phones rely on network whitelists in order to verify subscribers. So what does this mean for you?

If you do want to switch carriers after purchasing a phone that is compatible with Boost Mobile's CDMA network, you will have to get the permission of the carrier to have the phone unlocked for use on another network. Note however that even if you are granted permission by the carrier to have your CDMA phone unlocked, that does not mean that your phone will function on all networks. For instance, Sprint phones will not work on Verizon at all even though Verizon also uses a CDMA network. You can take a Sprint phone to AT&T even though AT&T uses a GSM network, but full service is not guaranteed.

The onus will be on you to research carrier phone compatibility if you decide to start with one network and switch to another. That said, I do not recommend trying to take a CDMA phone from one carrier to the next unless your circumstance affords you no other option.

Best of luck.

Jun 13, 2016 10:39 AM in response to Macology

Macology wrote:

Note however that even if you are granted permission by the carrier to have your CDMA phone unlocked, that does not mean that your phone will function on all networks. For instance, Sprint phones will not work on Verizon at all even though Verizon

This is outdated information. Verizon can activate any unlocked iPhone 6/6S or 6+/6S+ (except for ones intended for sale in China). So, should the OP buy one of those models from Boost, as long as it's unlocked it will be usable on Verizon.

The iPhone SE is a bit more complicated but the problem is not that Sprint and Verizon are CDMA carriers. The problem is the LTE bands the different versions of the iPhone SE use.

If I purchased an iPhone through boost mobile can I use it for another carrier later?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.