Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What do I do if I have a harmful virus?

One day I just opened a link(said something about "watch this for free!").I wasn't sure if it was like pirating movies or something. I clicked on something on the website (from the link) and I guess it gave me a virus because this notification (picture below) happens when I use google. One has popped up before saying something about turning on incognito because of third parties. I did turn on incognito. I have already shut down my computer before with no problem(well it died on me with low battery). What can I do to get rid of this? I didn't call the number yet or anything, should I? I don't know how to get rid of this virus. Please help me.

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, I have a Harmful virus-erases data

Posted on Jun 12, 2016 1:24 PM

5 replies

Jun 12, 2016 5:41 PM in response to _BlueJay_

The message is fraudulent. There is no "virus". Do not take any action based on the information it presents, because it is a criminal attempt to defraud you. Do not call the number.

For proper disposition please read Phony "tech support" / "ransomware" popups and web pages.

Edit to add: FYI previously posted replies are not appearing until posting a reply... again.

Jun 12, 2016 6:54 PM in response to _BlueJay_

As mentioned, its pure and utter garbage. Your OS X machine cannot run Microsoft's .NET framework to begin with. I've actually even had that popup on a Linux CentOS 7 machine when using FireFox. It's just predators (what other term is there for these SPAM/PHishiing trollers) rolling the dice on people's ignorance and fears over their devices and data.

What do I do if I have a harmful virus?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.