Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos for iOS changing crop orientation

How do I change the crop orientation from landscape to portrait on a landscape photograph. That is changing crop size from 6x4 to 4x6 to create a portrait photo.

I Can do this in the Photoshop Express app, but not in the Photos app.

I am using iOS 9.3.2 on an iPad Pro.

Regards

Schof

Posted on Jun 13, 2016 5:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2016 7:29 AM

I have found a solution using the suggestion of rotating the photo 90 degrees. It works, but is a bit long winded to achieve the effect.

1. Select the landscape photo you want to crop to portrait.

2. Select crop and select square from the crop constraints.

3. Click on done.

4. Select crop again and rotate the cropped photo 90 degrees.

5. Select the crop size you require from the options in the crop constraints, for example 3x2.

6. Click on done to save the crop.

7. Click on crop again, then rotate the photo until the photo is in the correct portrait orientation.

8. Click on done to save the rotation.

As you can see, a few steps to carry out, but you can crop a landscape photo into a portratit photo. It would be much simpler if Apple changed the options available in Photos for iOS to include a portrait or landscape crop, just like Photos for Mac.

Hope this helps somebody else who wants portrait photos from landscape photos.

Schof

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 14, 2016 7:29 AM in response to Schof

I have found a solution using the suggestion of rotating the photo 90 degrees. It works, but is a bit long winded to achieve the effect.

1. Select the landscape photo you want to crop to portrait.

2. Select crop and select square from the crop constraints.

3. Click on done.

4. Select crop again and rotate the cropped photo 90 degrees.

5. Select the crop size you require from the options in the crop constraints, for example 3x2.

6. Click on done to save the crop.

7. Click on crop again, then rotate the photo until the photo is in the correct portrait orientation.

8. Click on done to save the rotation.

As you can see, a few steps to carry out, but you can crop a landscape photo into a portratit photo. It would be much simpler if Apple changed the options available in Photos for iOS to include a portrait or landscape crop, just like Photos for Mac.

Hope this helps somebody else who wants portrait photos from landscape photos.

Schof

Jun 13, 2016 6:28 AM in response to thunderzzz

Sorry, but the info in the link does not solve the problem. I want to crop a landscape photo to a portrait photo. There is no option in the cropping tool in Photos for iOS to change the crop orientation, unless I am missing something. In Photos for Mac OS there is an option to change the crop orientation.

Methinks that Apple may have missed this one.

Regards

Schof

Jun 13, 2016 6:08 AM in response to Schof

Hi. This article may be helpful: iPhoto for iOS (iPhone): Crop, straighten, or rotate a photo

Info from aforementioned article:

To crop the photo, do one of the following:

• Set the photo to a standard aspect ratio (or size), such as 2 by 3 inches: Tap > Size.
  • Customize the photo’s frame size and positioning: Drag the photo’s border to change the frame size, and drag the photo to reposition it within the frame.
  • You can pinch with two fingers to zoom and adjust the photo inside the frame.

Jun 13, 2016 7:26 AM in response to thunderzzz

Hello

Rotating a photo 90 degrees then cropping it does not work. That was the first thing I thought of. The subject matter is then 90 degrees out after cropping.

In Photos for Mac there is an option at the top of the cropping sizes showing to rectangles. You select either the portrait or landscape rectangle to set the cropping orientation. This is missing from Photos for iOS. I would like to know if there is another way of selecting cropping orientation that has not been documented.

Using the Photoshop Express app provides this option by giving the cropping sizes in landscape and portrai, for example 6x4 and 4x6. In cropping sizes, the first figure is the width of the photo and the second figure is the height of the cropped photo.

Regards

Schof

Photos for iOS changing crop orientation

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.