Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMessages sent as text message on iPhone

My IMessages on my iPhone6, to one particular person used to go through as blue and said "delivered". Now, for the last couple days when I send a text, they sit there as blue, and maybe 3-5 min later, they automatically turn green and get "Sent as Text Message". This has just been happening with this one individual.

I've turned on/off my phone, deleted the strand completely and sent new messages, turned on/off iMessage & SMS in Settings.... However, they are still being sent automatically as green text. I do have my SMS on....

Does this mean I am blocked?

[Re-Titled by Host]

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 9.2.1

Posted on Jun 13, 2016 11:48 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 18, 2016 2:24 PM

I've been trying to text someone and it does the same thing. It starts out as blue but there's no indication that it's been delivered or read like it usually would say at the bottom, then after a few seconds it turns green. My daughter texted him(it's her dad) and it doesn't do that for her. Makes me wonder if he set his phone to block me or something. If anyone has an answer to this, I would appreciate it.

22 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 18, 2016 2:24 PM in response to ckuan

I've been trying to text someone and it does the same thing. It starts out as blue but there's no indication that it's been delivered or read like it usually would say at the bottom, then after a few seconds it turns green. My daughter texted him(it's her dad) and it doesn't do that for her. Makes me wonder if he set his phone to block me or something. If anyone has an answer to this, I would appreciate it.

Jun 13, 2017 10:20 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I'm wondering if BOTH iPhones need to have "send as SMS" in order to receive. I texted my friend the other day. Our messages are always blue. She also has the "read receipt" feature enabled so I can see "delivered" and "read." But, I texted her when she was on a flight. It came back green "sent as SMS" but that's it. It's been green for 2 days now, and I KNOW she's not in the air anymore. Now I'm wondering if she ever got it? I would think if no internet connection was avail it would still send once the person landed? So confused

Oct 22, 2017 2:01 PM in response to Kenzie❤️

Kenzie wrote:

Chaser5 so this is how I fixed it because mine was turning green when I sent a message. So first you go to settings and tap on messages then it says on the very top imessage and then there's this slider thingy it looks like this you turn it on and then you turn on the SMS thing and Then it will hopefully work.

I assume the "SMS thing" to which you're referring is the "Send as SMS..." feature. The only thing that slider does is tell the phone that, if it tries to send an iMessage (blue) and it fails, it should try to send it again as SMS (green).

Mar 17, 2017 5:20 PM in response to joemcfann

joemcfann wrote:

That's what I thought too. We have unlimited data and iMessage is turned on on both phones. I don't know why but it's blue now and we didn't do anything. Thanks though 🙂

The fact that you have unlimited data on your account says nothing about whether the phone is connected to data at any given moment. I have a friend who texts me on his way home from work sometimes. Generally, I get his texts as iMessages (blue), but, sometimes, when the trolley he rides is underground, the messages come as SMS.

Jun 14, 2017 5:50 AM in response to laugher70

Send as SMS is only relevant when iMessages is not available. Neither of you need to have it enabled if you are using iMessages and have active data connections. If it was sent as SMS, unless her phone is off or still in Airplane mode, the likelihood that she got it is almost 100%. SMS messages will go through when nothing else will.

However. iMessages is known to be a bit flaky if it the phone was disconnected from data for any significant period of time. You can try deleting the conversation between you and that person. Suggest to your friend that she turn iMessages off then back on again now that she's properly connected to data.

Sep 19, 2017 6:16 AM in response to Mrk187

Mrk187 wrote:

Thats exactly what it could mean. Either the person is of imessage or you have been blocked, I just tested bkocking one of my numbers and after a while with no "delivered" the text goes green.

As it can also mean the person is not currently connected to data, it still doesn't tell you anything useful about whether or not you were blocked.

Dec 18, 2016 3:59 PM in response to nrolando

nrolando wrote:

Have your daughter ask the person if they've blocked you.

iMessages sent as text message on iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.