Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Podcast is only available for iOS (Find My Friends also)

With the new Podcast app and Find My Friends app when trying to get the updates via iTunes I now get this new error.

Anyone else?

Thanks

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro (17-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), iTunes 12.4.1.6

Posted on Jun 13, 2016 3:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 13, 2016 3:44 PM

I don;t have any mobile devices. Are these standard apps that are part of iOS. If they are you may not be able to treat them as third party apps where you download them to iTunes.

14 replies

Jun 13, 2016 4:32 PM in response to ron_13

Both apps are pre-installed by iOS and cannot be deleted. Thay are still somewhere on your device.

You can search for them on all your screens and inside your folders; you can perform a Spotlight search for them; and you can check Settings > Genereal > Restrictions > to see if someone put restrictions on them, which would hide them from view.

Jun 13, 2016 5:02 PM in response to ron_13

Ron,

I see that your version of iTunes is up to date. What happens when your check for available updates on your iDevices, like the warnings suggest?

The issue you're experiencing is likely due to App Thinning. Updating apps thru iTunes is no longer the preferred way.

---------

iOS 9.2 introduced "App Thinning." This means that apps downloaded directly to your device contain only code and graphics needed on that particular device, requiring substantially less storage space. This is a good thing, but it means the app on your device is not "universal" which makes it unsuitable to be transferred to iTunes and potentially attempt to install it from there to other devices.

Jun 13, 2016 8:30 PM in response to ron_13

I have the same issue. Not sure why this is marked solved because they haven't released ios 10 and therefore is an issue for all current users. The other piece of information is that these apps are no longer listed in the app store even if you browse on the device. I think this is a bug and someone put some update out prematurely.

Jun 13, 2016 8:43 PM in response to JedWare

Right-click in iTunes within the Update window and click Delete, iTunes will prompt you to keep the file or move it to the trash, move it to the trash. That will clear up the Update issue in iTunes because as others have stated those apps are now defaulted to being installed in iOS, once iOS 10 comes out we'll have the option to delete and reinstall.

Jun 13, 2016 10:27 PM in response to JedWare

This is also only an issue for users who have had iOS devices from a time when app X wasn't included with iOS. For example on my hard drive the Podcast app was from Sept 2014 and Find Friends is from Sept 2012, a good number of people won't have those on their hard drive for iTunes to find and try and update.

Jun 13, 2016 11:49 PM in response to Rysz

Rysz wrote:

Ron,

I see that your version of iTunes is up to date. What happens when your check for available updates on your iDevices, like the warnings suggest?

I have the exact same issue as the OP so when I checked my iPod Touch it said that there were no updates. However, I used Ron_13's solution and deleted it from iTunes on my Mac and the problem is now gone.

Jun 18, 2016 6:12 PM in response to ron_13

Tend to agree with this being an iTunes bug. Whether iOS allows one to delete an Apple bundled app is irrelevant - I'm not trying to delete the app(s) - only trying to have them updated on my iMac as usual. The question here is why iTunes 12.4.16 client and the cloud based service treating these two iOS apps, apparently updated for the upcoming iOS 10, being treated so.

Podcast is only available for iOS (Find My Friends also)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.