Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using an iPad 1 as a digital picture frame

Hi

I framed and wall mounted my iPad 1 so I can use it as a digital picture frame. But to turn it off and on I have to take it off the wall and remove the device from the frame.

I'd also like to use it to 'frame' other things beyond my photos. For example showing the weather forecast. And other 'smart' type wall mounted applications. To do this I would ideally control it from another iDevice.

From my research however, easy remote-control options don't exist (I think I can jailbreak it and then vpn with a Mac). My son wondered if I could control it with an external device via the charging port or even the headphone jack. Lateral ideas I thought, but do such solutions exists?

All ideas welcome to help turn an old iPad 1 into a great digital picture frame device.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on Jun 13, 2016 11:59 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2016 1:25 AM

The only thing I can think of – but never tried myself – would be using a bluetooth keyboard. Which would only leave the problem of the on/off switch.

4 replies

Jun 14, 2016 2:12 AM in response to Esquared

No, the iPad 1 did not have the magnet feature.

I am making progress with the Bluetooth keyboard. If I enable VoiceOver On on settings then the short cuts on the Bluetooth keyboard can be used and I can navigate around the iPad using the keyboard. Which makes it a whole better experience.

"On" works fine as you just tap the keyboard and the iPad comes to life and logged in. However, the Picture Frame feature is only accessible from the lock screen. Which is bypassed. And still there is no obvious off feature. Still looking however....

Using an iPad 1 as a digital picture frame

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.