Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail El Capitan menus greyed out after Migration Assistant

When my new MacBook Pro (OS 10.11.5) arrived I used Migration Assistant (MA) to import the data from my old MacBook (OS 10.6). MA didn't like identical user names on both devices, so a new user was created for the migration.

After migration everything seems to work fine besides Mail (and some obsolete applications).

Problem: some Mail menu options are greyed out and/or not functional. Weird thing is that Mail works fine in the other user account, so I guess it's a conflict somewhere. Sometimes the Preferences won't open. New emails are received correctly, they appear in the notifications and can be opened individually, but I can't open the Message Viewer.

Greyed out menu items:

User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file User uploaded file

What I have tried to no avail:

- delete all mail accounts and add them manually

- delete mail preferences

- delete from user library: containers, mail folder, mail preferences

- disable user fonts

- disable user login items

Any suggestions for trouble shooting much appreciated.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X El Capitan (10.11.5)

Posted on Jun 14, 2016 2:03 AM

8 replies

Sep 22, 2017 6:17 PM in response to sybrig

This (the answer from Sep 24, 2016 8:47 AMRe: Mail El Capitan menus greyed out after Migration Assistantin response to Kees de Visser) solved my problem after a Sierra upgrade from El Capitan. Mail would start but many menu items - like preferences were greyed out and the mail messages screen never appeared. After 2 weeks of working with Apple - to no avail, I found this answer and it works. Now the preferences are no longer greyed out and all the mail appears to be restoring. After I'm done, I'll probably try to reimport old mail from time machine backups.

BTW: Apple support had suggested to reinstall the operating system, but I got a weird error "No bag entry" when trying to do that from the startup.... So I guess there is something wrong with their OS reinstall software on iMacs that have been upgrading for a few iterations. Trying to do the same from internet recover offered to install Lion! I don't think that would have helped.

Thanks for a great solution to a problem that's been driving me nuts for 2 weeks!

Jun 14, 2016 11:03 AM in response to Kees de Visser

Problems such as yours are sometimes caused by files that should belong to you but are locked or have wrong permissions. This procedure will check for such files. It makes no changes and therefore is not, in itself, a solution.

First, empty the Trash, if possible.

Triple-click anywhere in the line below on this page to select it, then copy the selected text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

find ~ $TMPDIR.. \( -flags +sappnd,schg,sunlnk,uappnd,uchg -o ! -user $UID -o ! -perm -600 \) 2>&- | wc -l | pbcopy

Launch the built-in Terminal application in any one of the following ways:

☞ Enter the first few letters of its name into a Spotlight search. Select it in the results (it should be at the top.)

☞ In the Finder, select Go Utilities from the menu bar, or press the key combination shift-command-U. The application is in the folder that opens.

☞ Open LaunchPad and start typing the name.

Paste into the Terminal window by pressing command-V. The command may take a noticeable amount of time to run.

Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear.

The output of the command will be a number. It's automatically copied to the Clipboard. Please paste it into a reply.

The Terminal window doesn't show the output. Please don't copy anything from there.

Jun 16, 2016 1:13 AM in response to Kees de Visser

Some of your user files (not system files) have incorrect permissions or are locked. This procedure will unlock those files and reset their ownership, permissions, and access controls to the default. If you've intentionally set special values for those attributes, they will be reverted. In that case, either stop here, or be prepared to recreate the settings if necessary. Do so only after verifying that those settings didn't cause the problem. If none of this is meaningful to you, you don't need to worry about it, but you do need to follow the instructions below.

Please back up all data before proceeding.

Step 1

If you have more than one user, and the one in question is not an administrator, then go to Step 2.

Enter the following command in the Terminal window in the same way as before (triple-click, copy, and paste):

sudo find ~ $TMPDIR.. -exec chflags -h nosappnd,noschg,nosunlnk,nouappnd,nouchg {} + -exec chown -h $UID {} + -exec chmod +rw {} + -exec chmod -h -N {} + -type d -exec chmod -h +x {} + 2>&-

You'll be prompted for your login password, which won't be displayed when you type it. Type carefully and then press return. You may get a one-time warning to be careful. If you don’t have a login password, you’ll need to set one before you can run the command. If you see a message that your username "is not in the sudoers file," then you're not logged in as an administrator.

The command may take several minutes to run, depending on how many files you have. Wait for a new line ending in a dollar sign ($) to appear, then quit Terminal.

Step 2 (optional)

Take this step only if you have trouble with Step 1, if you prefer not to take it, or if it doesn't solve the problem.

Start up in Recovery mode. You may be prompted to select a language, then the OS X Utilities screen will appear.

If you use FileVault 2, select Disk Utility, then select the icon of the FileVault startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name.) It will be nested below another drive icon. Select Unlock from the File menu and enter your login password when prompted. Then quit Disk Utility to be returned to the main screen.

Select

Utilities Terminal

from the menu bar. A Terminal window will open. In that window, type this:

resetp

Press the tab key. The partial command you typed will automatically be completed to this:

resetpassword

Press return. A Reset Password window will open. You’re not going to reset a password.

Select your startup volume ("Macintosh HD," unless you gave it a different name) if not already selected.

Select your username from the menu labeled Select the user account if not already selected.

Under Reset Home Directory Permissions and ACLs, click the Reset button.

Select

Restart

from the menu bar.

Jun 16, 2016 1:13 AM in response to Linc Davis

Thank you for the comprehensive help !

However I have decided to solve it the "easy" way by creating a new user account and import all relevant data manually from my old MacBook. Call me a coward but so far it works fine and it forces me to clean up the old files I don't really need 🙂

FYI the old MacBook had quite some old (>2006) OS 10.4 and 10.6 data that needed cleanup, something that Migration Assistant apparently doesn't do.

Importing the mail data (Mail/File/Import Mailboxes/Apple Mail) worked very well, just a bit slow.

Aug 28, 2016 4:42 AM in response to Linc Davis

I have the same issue. My mail menu looks exactly the same and I also tried similar solutions as Kees. I tried the terminal commands; my outcome was 19 but I tried the second command as well. Nothing seems to happen and mail still doesn't work. I am not sure how it stopped working. It started in El Capitan (possibly when I needed to stop mail downloading mails without stopping). I am now using Sierra 10.12 Beta (16A304a) because I was hoping an update might remedy the situation.

I have both a ssd with the applications on it and the old HD with my old user file and all files on it. I can open mail in another user. If you have any suggestion to what could be done I'd be very happy.

Sep 24, 2016 8:47 AM in response to Kees de Visser

Found this and it helped!!! Running Sierra

Reply Helpfulby Linc Davis on Jun 21, 2013 8:17 AM

Quit Mail.

In the Finder, hold down the option key and select

Go ▹ Library

from the menu bar. Move the following items from the folder that opens to the Trash (some may not exist):

• Caches/com.apple.mail
  • Saved Application State/com.apple.mail.savedState
  • Application Support/AddressBook/MailRecents-v4.abcdmr
  • Containers/com.apple.mail
  • Mail
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.plist
  • Preferences/com.apple.mail.searchhistory.plist

Note: you are not moving the Mail application. You’re moving a folder named “Mail.”

Mail El Capitan menus greyed out after Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.