Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

watch immediately asks for passcode

I just got a new watch and updated the software. Now every time I raise my wrist, it asks me to put in my passcode. This wasn't the case with my other watch. Apple support says this is now standard. Have others noticed the change? I plan to stop using my passcode and stop using Apple Pay on my watch because of this.

Apple Watch, watchOS 2.2.1

Posted on Jun 15, 2016 11:40 AM

6 replies

Jun 15, 2016 11:43 AM in response to christopherfromacton

Hi

You might wish to use these settings:

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > General > Wrist Detection - turn this on.

- On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch > Passcode > Turn Passcode on.

- Also on the Passcode settings screen, enable Unlock with iPhone.

After putting it on your wrist, your watch will then unlock after whatever you do first: either unlocking your watch manually (by entering the passcode) or unlocking your iPhone.

It will then remain unlocked (including when the screen is asleep) until you remove it from your wrist. When you remove your watch, it will lock automatically.

More information:

https://help.apple.com/watch/#/apd748b87e2a

Jun 15, 2016 4:33 PM in response to christopherfromacton

Permanent or temporary changes to your skin - such as some wrist tattoos - can affect the performance of the watch's sensor. This can lead the watch to mistakenly believe that it has been removed from the wrist, even though it is still being worn.

Otherwise, the behaviour should be as described in my previous reply - including the watch prompting you to enter the passcode upon first wearing it (unless you place the watch on your wrist and then unlock your iPhone).

If you do not have a wrist tattoo and the issue persists when using the settings that I suggested, contact Apple Support (mail-in service may be available) or make a Genius Bar reservation with a view to having your watch checked (under warranty, if eligible):

To check your warranty status:

https://checkcoverage.apple.com/

watch immediately asks for passcode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.